Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

S/G Cabbies mixture soap taste?

(36 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

heimedvw

Login to Send PM

I have been reading and watching some reviews on S/G Cabbie's Mixture and some have noticed a soapy/floral taste detected. Although the majority either didn't notice it, or it was not present in their tin? So the question is, does the mixture intend to have a soap taste or is this tainted batches that have made it into the public? If so I wonder if the company has it narrowed down to a precise proportion date? Looking for your thoughts.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

Yes the mixture intends to have a soap taste

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been wondering this myself. I was excited to try some when it was released, but soon saw reviews of a soapiness, and so I held off. Good question!

On a pipe adventure
    Steve
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

murica

Login to Send PM

Definitely in my tin. I didnt notice it at first, but once the tin aired a couple days, it was definite.

It put me off pretty bad, but I can look past it now. It doesn't always shiw its face.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have not experienced it in any tins I have had nor has anyone I have given tins to, but they were older tins from when it was first released. I will check it again tomorrow. I have been pretty sensitive to soapy or floral notes in tobacco.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

murica

Login to Send PM

I wouof call it more floral than soapy. But its a distinct backnote to the Virginia and perique. Seems to appear in the first third or so.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't taste it. Hmm, I like it, whatever it smells or tastes like.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. kiel

Kiel

Login to Send PM

I haven't noticed a soapy taste, but I notice it is delicious and ordered a couple more tins.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is no essence applied to Cabbies. Gawith factory is not a laboratory. Some people let the internet act as a logic gate for their brains. Buy a tin and decide for yourself.

PS Pretty sure the "YTPC" couldn't distinguish perique from burley in a blind taste test.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

Have an open tin in my desk drawer and just stuck my nose in it. I don't get any soap/perfume. As it happens, I like the Lakeland scents in moderation so might not be as sensitive as someone "allergic" to them.

Not smoking it at the moment but didn't notice any soapy taste, either. Not at all.

But that's just me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

heimedvw

Login to Send PM

See what I mean. It's already about 50/50 on ten replies? Let me add this to the question. If you have tried it how many tins have you had of C/M and have they all Had the same consistency?

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I stopped buying Gawith Hoggarth blends because even ones not supposed to have Lakeland I found were being contaminated. So far that hasn't been the case for SG for me yet but then again I haven't opened my tin of cabbies mixture yet.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I personally have never experienced "cross contamination," where a blend that was supposed to NOT include a Lakeland essence did, but some have reported that as happening. A trusted Virginia smoker friend of mine did tell me that Cabbie's Mixture does have a slight hint of Lakeland but that it doesn't carry very strongly after the initial light.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is not a matter of whether it hasĀ it or not, it is a matter of interpretation. Some perceive it as a pleasant floral fragrance and taste, as I do, others as a stinky bar of soap. Eye of the beholder.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

0/2 for me.

I kinda wish I hadn't made that comment about YPTC. I just tend to find a lot of folks quick to jump on a bandwagon, that's all.

Anyway, I think SG tends to have a lower level of batch consistency then the Danes, German's and McC's.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I notice that guys who smoke a lot of the Lakeland based blends don't notice the soapiness, except maybe on the ones where the soapiness is overpowering. I smoke quite a bit of Dark Flake unscented, and I will taste it in the first few flakes, very faintly, but then it goes away for me in the rest of the jar, if I keep smoking it at least once a day. But, any length of time beyond that, when I return to it, I have to adjust all over again.

It does shock me that fully grown men are drawn to those particular fragrances. But, it may just be the olfactory memories we associate with those smells. I think of little old country lady with pink soaps in their bathrooms shaped like roses that are merely for decorations, maybe 1950's-60's. Maybe other guys in England associate it to dogfights, new car smells, or men's bathrooms in pool halls. I have no idea.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

heimedvw

Login to Send PM

Also it's not my intent to bad mouth a brand like Samuel Gawith, that I myself enjoy! The reason I'm curious is it sounds like a lot of people have written this mixture off because of the soapy/floral taste. That I'm sure they have only tired the one tin of because of that experience, and might be willing to give it another shot down the road if it happened to be a contamination problem. I will say I have not tried it yet but do have three tins aging in the cellar. Two of the three have the same date but one is a fair bit older than the other two. When I do decide to crack them I might open all three at the same time just to compare the consistency.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. drennan

drennan

Login to Send PM

Maybe other guys in England associate it to dogfights, new car smells, or men's bathrooms in pool halls. I have no idea.

Perhaps nostalgia. Alot of the floral flavours where used in sweets or candy as you yanks say, rose water is used in Turkish delight and Parma violets are flavoured with violets as just two examples. My great-grandmother used to suck some floral boiled sweet to freshen her breath.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

sw0snuff3r

Login to Send PM

I've been through a half a dozen tins so far and haven't noticed anything floral or soapy. I have some more on the way to me right now and I'm interested to see if it appears in the newer stuff. I'll crack a new tin when it gets to me to find out.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I buy a fair few loose blends on my travels in the UK and they often have this. I think of it as tasting how a tobacconist shop smells

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of my favoured blends come from both Kendal houses. Not being an aromatic smoker I obviously go for their unflavoured blends and am pretty certain I have never tasted the infamous 'Lakeland Essence' in any of them though I do know what it tastes/smells like as I once tried Ennerdale Flake....never again...bloody nasty stuff!

I have had three tins of Cabbies Mixture and again I never detected anything in there that wasn't supposed to be in there.

I do wonder if with many folks it's just a psychological thing...think Kendal tobacco and therefore think 'Lakeland Essence'.

Just my tuppence worth

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, no Lakeland Bomb here.

I love this mixture, Hay and Earthy virginias with a spicy perique undertone. Great Stuff! Buy a tin and a cob and forget about it.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn, now I am gonna have to try it. Rats!

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lets be clear here that we are talking about a Lakeland accent. Some people choose to call it soapy, but then, I don't know the kind of soap they use! But first and foremost, it is a floral kind of scent that all have left a taste in my mouth. But I kind of like it. Any Lakeland so-treated baccies I've tried, hours later I have a sort of lingering floral taste in my mouth.

But there are an infinite number of degrees; you can mix the stuff with other things to get delightful results if you don't want to smoke it straight. But if you are a very strict English smoker, I can see how this might screw up your taste-buds!

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a guy who hangs with us at The Briary, and he calls all aromatics soapy. I ask him what he means, but I don't think he knows either. "Soapy" means nothing to me, by itself. But, I think that most refer to those pink rose shaped decorative girly soaps that all Southern grandmas had in their bathroom, setting in a pretty bowl on top of a doily covered table. That is what I smell and taste in Lakelands.
    When I hear someone say that Prince Albert tastes soapy, I have no idea what they are talking about.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know its wrong, Cosmic, but I put Lakelands in a class by themselves. They are more about taste than smell. When I think of an aro, I think of cherry or one of the other kinds that puts a pleasant smell in the room for others. A lot of aros smell nice to others but taste rather flat and lifeless to me. Every Lakeland I've tried so far was anything but flat or lifeless in the tobacco department and most even had a pretty fair kick!

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^ This. While I don't smoke many Lakelands I enjoy every one. And yes, most "aromatics" taste like hot air.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had a few tasty aromatics also. Not all are the goopy stuff. Condor, Warrior, Virginia Cream, Mango Flakes, there are more. But, when you delve into the good aromatics, there are some that are similar to the lakelands, and then the lines start to blur between Lakelands and the others. The one thing that seems to thread through the lakelands is an always present grandma theme.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haven't done any Lakeland aromatics intentionally or otherwise, but this thread is also a really interesting discussion of the sense of taste and how it varies, probably both subjectively/psychologically and genetically. We definitely taste things differently. Some polarizing tastes are lamb and liver. Often people have strong polar experiences of attraction and repulsion. Many other flavors fall in this category too -- you love it, you hate it. Burley is that way for many.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

I have a few newer tins, going to open one sometime this year. Have heard this before. I have some concern that since SG combined with GH and are producing in the same location that some cross contamination may be evident. I'll post when I come to that crossroad.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. stvalentine

stvalentine

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am on my third tin, no soap here. One of the finest mixtures I have smoked so far. Too bad that it is quite expensive.

"Ride it like you stole it!"

The Old Swede
    Posted 2 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

murica

Login to Send PM

Not meaning to argue the point, but I picked up Cabbies on a whim and after not lurking the forums for a few years.

I bought it because its a vaper. I smoked about three bowls, never read the reviews. After a few bowls, I got hit with the floral taste. It was very light, but definitely on my tongue during the smoke. It went away after a bit, but I have been smoking a pipe for a decade or so. Probably 5 or 6 bowls a day, and I caught the taste.

Maybe its not in all tins, or maybe its hpw my tester perceived something. But for me, its present. Not a negative, just a statement.

And yes, I ordered another ten tins, along with lakeland dark.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And yes, I ordered another ten tins, along with lakeland dark.

heeheehee. Another convert over to the dark side.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

murica

Login to Send PM

Toob

Lakeland dark is magical to me. Like DFU but better. DF is a magical smoke to me, floral or not, but lakeland is perfection. Never cared for 1792 because of the tonquin, but remove that and bammo.

I enjoy the dark side, and get my nic fix from most of them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lakeland Dark = burning rubber = ugh!

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

murica

Login to Send PM

Jay

Go smoke some condor.

Actually, wait, M79. Or CBG. Just leave my Lakeland Dark alone.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bryans, lawayna, warren, alan73, ben88, lightxmyfire, jpmcwjr, ssjones, marc75, weezell, philobeddoe, pepesdad1, samw74, jaytex969, mawp