PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm pretty sure I've figured out the recipe for this rope.
First, they take a steak and marinate it with dark molasses, black pepper and a touch of liquid smoke.

Next, the steak is pounded thin and charred over a really hot fire.

Lastly, it is sprayed with nicotine, twisted into a rope and aged for a few years. :)
This stuff is ALL about the bass ... no treble.

While I enjoyed GH's Brown Bogie more, this is a unique, thick, heavy smoke which

will be nice to have around as winter sets in.
Smoking a small pipe-full with Ethiopian coffee right now while the rain drizzles outside ... perfect. :puffy:

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
When I saw this post earlier I thought COOL, because I knew a tin was coming with an order today. Well I just finished a bowl and am nicely surprised, and relieved, because I was wondering if my first rope would make my head spin. Happy to say NO spinning head, maybe a couple dozen bowls of Billy Budd lately was a good prep. My taste buds aren't very sophisticated, but I do enjoy this SG Black XX Finest Kendal Twist and Cobguy, you did a pretty good little review of it. Cheers! :puffy:

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I have a sample of this, but have not tried it as of yet. I need to prep some and give it a try.

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
It tastes like the charred part of a charcoal grilled burger in the best possible way. Fun and different stuff, for sure.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The harshest, most uncompromising tobacco I smoke, but still, I smoke it regularly.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Oh I tried this last week.. I got about 1/3 the way through the bowl and had to stop. A guy at the shop offered me 20.00 for the pipe I used, said he needed a new tack hammer.. LOL that's a serious turd of a smoke..

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Its not bad when mixed with Condor. I am not a big fan of the US made ropes as they have a lovely way of coming 'un-spun' and turning into a handful of leaves. The G&H stuff seems to hold together much better and is relatively easy to cut up with a sharp knife and then rub out for smoking. All the old blends like 'Nail Rod' etc have long since vanished from the market which is a shame as their were so many variations of twist available in the UK when I was growing up.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The OP described Black rope as having "a unique, thick, heavy smoke." I couldn't agree more. I've smoked it off and on over the years, and mostly off, but I'm smoking 2-3 Xs per week, mostly late at night, when all I want is strong, strong, strong. Well, black rope certainly gives me strong. The machine oil/creosote taste is still present, but I've gotten to the point, without effort, that it doesn't taste as objectionable. This tobacco borders on harshness and does not hold back the nicotine, which I find useful in combating the dead or otherwise horrific in the zombie/horror films I stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.