PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Hi Fellow Pipers!

I've recently discovered SG 1792 Flake and its seriously becoming my favourite tobacco! I just can't seem to keep it lit even after drying. Is there a trick to this beast?

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Thanks xrundog. I've been experimenting with flakes lately and have found that something is lost in the taste the finer you rub/cut them. Is this just my subjective experience or is their something objective truth to this? As an example, I find Peterson's Irish Flake to be very different (in a better way IMHO) when folded and stuffed vs. rubbed.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Props to you for even smoking it. That stuff burns worse than a low rent lady of the night. It is the only tobacco that I just can't figure out a way to like.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Hey wyfbane,

I think its a love it or hate proposition for this one. To me it was love at first puff. It packs a tremendous amount of nicotine, and I love the taste of that Tonkin bean!
So far my top 2 tobaccos are Irish Flake and 1792. I love a lot of other offerings as I take my journey in this world but those 2 seem to be of a sublime nature to me!
If only I can keep it lit! :)

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Sadly, no...there is no way to keep it lit. I have tried fine cutting the stuff, (and I agree, it seems to lose something once it has been rubbed out to fine). I've tried drying it, still after a couple of puffs, out it goes. I really like the stuff, so I have resigned myself to having a lighter handy when I smoke it. I don't mind re-lighting, I kind of look at it like I'm not wasting one bit. It will not continue to burn away when I'm not puffing.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
1792 has a heavy casing. If the flake is supple enough to fold it's too wet to smoke. I'm not much of a folder, but I've done it. I can't imagine it working at all with 1792. Rubbed out and dry it gives a good smoke with plenty of flavor.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
If you soak it in kerosene it'll stay lit a little better and the flavor will improve.
Kidding of course, that SG blend for sure has a love it, hate it following and if you love it you'll in time figure out the combination of drying and perpetration that will give you the optimum results, of that I have no doubts. I struggled with flakes for a long time and I would just get lazy and rub them out but I kept hearing where I was cheating myself in the flavor dept. That certainly proved to be true as I kept at it and found a way to stuff and smoke flakes without constantly having to relight. The SG products seem to be very wet even in bulk form and I personally allow for at least an overnight drying period. I do pay attention to the ambient RH in doing so though, if it's humid here like it typically is in July, I leave it dry on a plate inside near the AC unit. If it's cold and dry I still might go all night but I set the flakes on a plate and cover it with a paper plate to retard the process so it doesn't over dry.
I realize there are those that'll strongly disagree with my methods but it's what I've been able to make work for me without any taste depreciation that I'm aware of. Stay with it and enjoy that very old and high quality powerhouse of a flake.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I've also had success increasing my cadence and puffing harder than normal to keep it lit. Unfortunately, I usually end up lying down after the spinning stops when I smoke it that wet.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been smoking 1792 for many years and have found that if I strip the flakes into thin ribbons I have better success keeping it lit. Also, this practice seems to aid the drying time. I use this technique for plugs as well. Revor, Velvan, etc are very dense but stripping the slices helps me quite a bit.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Try the fold and stuff method a day or two before you actually smoke it. I.E. Let the baccy dry out folded in the chamber. It'll take longer to dry but may work for you.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Does this flake have flame retardant on it or something!!!?? I dried it out till it was brittle and it still requires ample relighting (not as much, but still!).

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Smoking a large bowl (at the last third of it). It stayed lit in the 2nd half. It also lit my brain up with a massive kick!! This stuff is strong and I've been puffing like a fiend... I should come back here and review this post when I come back to my senses!!!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I love 1792 for its robustness. It is a bear to keep lit. The for me is to load the pipe the night before and let it set out all day.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I seem to have tamed the beast! After trying various approaches I've found the following to work best:
- Rub/cut/thin fully and make sure there are no chunks (what doesn't burn well are chunky parts so the finer you go the better it will stay lit).

- Let dray until it becomes almost brittle to the touch. (it should still be springy in the bowl as you pack it.

- Enjoy!
I guess the take away here is that 1792 chunks don't burn :). Other baccy chunks mostly do, you're milage may vary :-D.
Thanks for all the input. I can now enjoy this beast!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Good to hear that you've conquered 1792. There was a period of 3 or 4 years where it was my exclusive smoke. Now for some real fun you should try the plugs like Warrior's Plug, Velvan, Mick McQuaid and Revor.

Mar 1, 2014
I know all the experienced guys will cringe, but there's nothing I can't keep lit with a butane torch.

Cheap pipes are preferable, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.