[closed]

Sexism and Pipes?

(71 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by blindmansleeps
  • Latest reply from lordnoble
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

So, this is my first post, here. I'm a fairly new pipe smoker of a few months. These forums have been very helpful in my pursuit of the perfect puff.

I've noticed something in the pipe-smoking community, though, that unsettles me a bit. I understand that pipe smoking is something of a tradition, and gives off a sense of nostalgia for the past. But, why is there a good deal of sexism in the community? It's as if we still find smoking a pipe to represent hyper-masculinity vis-a-vis Popeye. Just listen to the ad for Molto Dolce which played in last week's Pipes Magazine Radio show. I certainly don't have that kind of hypermasculine experience when smoking a pipe, and it's certainly not the reason why I smoke a pipe.

Has anyone else picked up on this tendency? It's really entirely unnecessary to the enjoyment of a good smoke, but it seems to permeate the pipe-smoking community just about everywhere I look.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

but it seems to permeate the pipe-smoking community just about everywhere I look.

Where else have you looked, besides the Molto Dolce ad?
    That's a pretty broad accusation.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Frankly, I don't think many of us think in your politically correct terms, or about our "masculinity", when smoking a pipe. We just enjoy the pipe.

Not really a great first post. Nobody here has time for "sexism" or any other bullshit. Anytime someone throws out a word like "sexism", one can glean quite a bit about the posters mindset and worldview.

We enjoy this forum as a place to discuss pipes, tobacco, and miscellany in a friendly environment. Maybe you should take your 'activism' to a forum that focuses on such things.

Gender has never crossed my mind when smoking a pipe.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"It's really entirely unnecessary to the enjoyment of a good smoke, but it seems to permeate the pipe-smoking community just about everywhere I look."

And by the way, this statement is complete bullshit. Be gone, troll.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First, I think that Kevin tries his hardest to make the ads appeal to a broad audience and be creative and entertaining, but as anyone who works in a creative field knows, sometimes with your best effort you can still piss off someone without knowing.

My definition of sexism is that it means that you display a belief that opposite sex is somehow less deserving or beneath your own in some way. Yes the ad played with sexual innuendos, but I didn't get the message that he was saying that women were somehow beneath men in quality in any way. Yes, sex was the idea behind the ad, but isn't sex in some way woven into just about everything. The woman ran off with his pipe, because she loved thee taste (or whatever feeling the blend gave her). To say that women are not sexual beings just as men are is silly. The ad made no mention that women were "merely" playthings or deserved less pay or should listen to what a man says. Just because the ad was heavily laden with innuendo does not automatically make it sexist.

Now, if you just don't like people talking about sex or using it to sell a product is one thing, but to call it "sexist" is a heavy judgement call. And, it is completely subjective. How about defining your definition of sexism and pointing out how the ad fits that definition before throwing rocks at people trying their best to meet the needs of our community.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Wow. I didn't expect such an emotional and strong response. Simply was wondering if anyone else has noticed the trend. A simple, "No, I haven't noticed a trend." would do, Perique. As far as what you think you've gleaned from my character out of a single post, I don't think in such narrow terms. If apparently being a little taken aback by some derogatory remarks while being introduced into the pipe smoking community makes my mind obsessed with "political correctness," then I think you've made quite a few ungrounded assumptions, man.

Perhaps I overspoke with the phrase "everywhere." But, I have sensed it quite a bit. In a number of videos throughout YouTube. On TobaccoReviews, the occasional joke about "finding a different wife if she doesn't like the smell of your tobacco." Etc. Granted, as a pipesmoker of a few months, I haven't exactly run the social circles of the community. But seeing how I've run into quite a few instances of it in my first few months of exploration, at the very least you can understand why I'd be curious.

But really, a simple, "I haven't noticed that trend." or "That's surely not the norm." would have sufficed.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Cosmic,

I was actually kind of struck more by the hyper-masculinity than I was the woman clearly going over the top with sexual innuendo. I thought that was just being humorous.

I understand it's subjective. (Why do I get the idea I'm going to have to talk people down from assuming I'm the PC police?)

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Perhaps I overspoke with the phrase "everywhere." "

"I haven't exactly run the social circles of the community."

----------------------------

Which is why this was a first post in very poor form. Perhaps you should spend some more time within the pipesmoking community before criticizing it, let alone suggesting it's something as absurd as "sexist".

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe "sexist" is the wrong word to use. Maybe it deserves a little more searching for a better word. "Provocative" comes to mind.

As for hyper masculine, LOLOLOLOL, I think the guys was more of a schmuck than a hyper-masculine guy who only knows sports and big guns. Maybe you can define hyper-masculine for us also?

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, and perhaps my definition of sexism is a bit more broad. As someone who studies the social sciences, and particularly the way language is used, sometimes I think sexism, which can often simply involve representing a person only in terms of their gender (and the extreme stereotype of a gender role), permeates our language without our awareness.

Which is important, here, for those who think I'm looking down my nose. I'm not. I'm sure I often unintentionally do similar things. Only, I do try to pay much more attention to my language when I'm in the public sphere, or if I were making advertisements, teaching a class, etc.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Lol. True. Maybe more of a schmuck. Just kind of reminded me of a Mad Men kind of hyper-masculinity. Which, of course, emphasizes your point. Hyper-masculinity is not only individually subjective, but socially subjective. Though, I don't think the presence subjectivity ends the discussion.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Blind, it's sometimes difficult to get a good read on someone simply from an Internet forum. Sometimes the nature of this medium accentuates stereotypes. Sometimes there is projection. Often there is misunderstanding.

All of that said, you are coming across as an asshole. Maybe involve yourself in some threads about pipes and pipe tobacco. Attend a few pipe shows or club meetings. Then come back and enlighten us as to the "social sciences" and your "broad" definition of sexism. Until then, you'll forgive some of us from simply finding you a troll.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL, now this is just getting silly. I saw no correlation between the ad and Mad Men. I think that you are projecting some things onto the ad that just aren't there. Sure, the women could have been a brain surgeon who just liked the smell of the ad, the end, but that is not how the world works. If we all look hard enough we will find things we can disagree with, but my point is that calling the ad "sexist" is a hard call. I would take that serious, and you'll have to do better than your doing to convince me. I think your stretching a bit here. IMO.

It's ok to just not like the ad. I don't like a lot of ads. But, calling the ad out as sexist is a heavy punch and you'd better be able to back it up.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. anglesey

anglesey

Login to Send PM

I wouldnt say the two are even vaguely comparable. It's such a niche 'market' (if I may use that term) that it's really neither here nor there. In todays world, both men and women are seen as equally 'weird' if they walk down the street smoking a pipe. I'm not bothered if a woman smokes a pipe, I've known plenty of men who smoke a pipe as an irritating affectation, and plenty of women who take it as seriously as one can.

As for cosmic's comment on the molto dolce ad, and the sexualisation of everything, I must completely agree. I find it offensive and crass that sex is brought into everything, but this doesn't necessarily mean that we're all sitting here sneering and leering at women during adverts.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think sexism "permeates" community by any stretch, but it does come up now and then. We have that "Pipe Babes" tab up there without a corresponding "Pipe Jocks", so that's one example. But look, it's mostly guys here with a few welcome exceptions. If the membership tipped to the distaff side by a larger percentage you would probably begin to see a change in tone. That probably won't happen. It would mean a 100% increase in pipe sales, so we should probably wish it would happen.

As for myself, I'm more of a geezer pipe smoking nerd. Overt sexuality makes me embarrassed and uneasy, so the Molto Dolce ad was annoying. I think most of us are into pipes because it's a relaxing and interesting hobby, not because we are trying to promote some sort of image.

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmm...

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, I didn't imply that there was a direct link between Mad Men and the ad at all, but only the kind of hypermasculine stereotype. Which is that kind of a odd ingredient of nostalgia I've picked up on, as well.

I didn't say that I required the woman to be a brain surgeon, either. And gave nothing to suggest that.

Apparently, a guy can't use the word "sexism" without being forced to untether himself from a thousand unnecessary associations and statements. Apparently, it's like wearing a target in this kind of forum. Note taken.

But, I will say that before you dismiss the notion that sexist statements can unintentionally creep through our language as being silly, I'd recommend a little reading up on linguistic analysis, analysis that has been around for decades.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Be. Gone. Non-contributing. Troll.

Mods. Help.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Tuold, I entirely agree. And that was the exact kind of response I was asking for before I got the angry reaction above. It's marginal, then. And that's all I wanted to know.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Perique, how on earth have I trolled, man? Your reaction is really confusing to me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL, I don't think of myself as typical in any way. I'm a single parent of two little girls, and I work all day where my only customers are women. I think of myself as very aware. I have to wonder about you though.
    This is all just very odd.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

I don't think of myself as typical, either. (And I think that's kind of my point.)

This thread has been odd. I don't think it needed to be, and I certainly didn't intend it to be, but the reaction to my post was certainly odd.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Perique, how on earth have I trolled, man? Your reaction is really confusing to me."

It's fairly simple, really. Your first post here was to criticize the community, while admittedly having little to no experience of the community. As such, we can conclude one of the following:

1. You have an ulterior motive.

2. You have an obsession with politically correct pseudo-science.

3. You have a bone to pick with the pipe tobacco community.

4. You have a personality disorder

Either way, such a critique (from a position of self-admitted ignorance) is not welcome here. Nor is the mind-set that would presume to judge the pipe smoking community from outside the community itself.

As I said above: "Maybe involve yourself in some threads about pipes and pipe tobacco. Attend a few pipe shows or club meetings. Then come back and enlighten us as to the "social sciences" and your "broad" definition of sexism. Until then, you'll forgive some of us from simply finding you a troll."

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Calling something "sexist" is not to be taken lightly, IMO. And doing so as your first post toward our community strikes a nerve.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My girlfriend is getting into pipes and my daughter has smoked a pipe. I just don't see the world as you do. Sorry.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Perique, you've assumed me into a position, when I'm merely asking about a tendency that someone else has acknowledged on this very thread.

I'm also part of the pipesmoking community. And am responding to a phenomenon I've experienced.

Now, if you take my admission of having not an incredibly extensive knowledge of the community in it's context, you'll see that I followed that by pointing out that in my limited experience, I've come across it quite a bit. It would be natural, then, that I would see a tendency.

You really need to step back from the thread a bit, man, clear your assumptions, and read it over again.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been around all kinds of pipe smokers in my 50 plus years of puffing and Gender has never crossed my mind when smoking a pipe.

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice back-peddle. Your post:

I've noticed something in the pipe-smoking community, though, that unsettles me a bit. I understand that pipe smoking is something of a tradition, and gives off a sense of nostalgia for the past. But, why is there a good deal of sexism in the community? It's as if we still find smoking a pipe to represent hyper-masculinity vis-a-vis Popeye. Just listen to the ad for Molto Dolce which played in last week's Pipes Magazine Radio show. I certainly don't have that kind of hypermasculine experience when smoking a pipe, and it's certainly not the reason why I smoke a pipe.

Has anyone else picked up on this tendency? It's really entirely unnecessary to the enjoyment of a good smoke, but it seems to permeate the pipe-smoking community just about everywhere I look.

***Maybe involve yourself in some threads about pipes and pipe tobacco. Attend a few pipe shows or club meetings. Then come back and enlighten us as to the "social sciences" and your "broad" definition of sexism. Until then, you'll forgive some of us from simply finding you a troll."

Or go away. And take your political correctness with you. We want to talk about pipes, smoking, and tobacco. Not bullshit.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, I have no problem with women smoking pipes at all. My wife occasionally smokes a pipe. I didn't imply that I had any problem with it. Again, I've just noticed a recurring phenomenon of hyper-masculinity and such in the pipe-smoking community. And it's not as if I'm inventing the association, either. Simply do a Google search for pipe ads in the 50s and 60s. Some of them express that same kind of thing.

Putting ads like Molto Dolce's in that context complicates it a bit to my mind.

To me, smoking a pipe is about relaxation. I don't care who smokes it, how often, or where you smoke it. Which is why I'm a little thrown off by the occasional resurrections of vintage pipe culture.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tread lightly, Blindman. You just got here.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. anglesey

anglesey

Login to Send PM

I've got to ask, before all the scratching and hair pulling starts, why does it matter if some members of the community are sexist? Thats just life, deal with it. Also, popeye doesn't represent hyper masculinity in any way. Popeye comes from an era when the pipe was as much the norm as a cigarette, and popeye himself is actually quite an underdog character with skinny arms, until he eats his spinach and knocks out bluto

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Perique, the very next post I made on this thread:

"I haven't exactly run the social circles of the community. But seeing how I've run into quite a few instances of it in my first few months of exploration, at the very least you can understand why I'd be curious."

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How many pipe shows and pipe club meetings have you attended?

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you'll check reviews of the blend, I think that the reason that Motlo Dulce was portrayed as a tobacco that illicits a sexual reaction from women is that, that has been the experience of some pipe smokers. Just as the ads for Axe men's cologne does the same.

Like I said, I think that Kevin was doing his best with a blend that has become notorious in our community for being a sexy smoke. However, I think that he has learned that there are some out there that are sensitive to things of a sexual nature.

I think that calling it sexist and the community sexist was just uncalled for and a jab on your part. I still think that you are projecting something on it and us that just isn't there. Sure, we responded harshly, but being called sexist can do that to a person.

I apologize if I have offended you.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just wanted to take this time to thank Kevin for all his hard work in promoting and supporting the pipe smoking community.

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dumbest. Thread. Ever.....

-Ryan Alden
    Posted 5 years ago #
  37. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

lonestar: agreed. I humbly apologize to the board for feeding the troll.

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, I just want to clarify that I wasn't calling the community sexist at all. Maybe some of members have said sexist things (but that doesn't mean I condense their entire character into one little word like sexist), and some of the ads and reviews I've run across from the community have been tinged a bit. But even so, I wouldn't call the community as a whole sexist. I'm from the South. My grandfather probably makes a racist statement every day, but he's still a wonderful guy.

That's kind of what I mean by unintentionally saying sexist things. In my grandfather's case, it's just part of his world. It's unconscious to him, but it still is a little sexist. I could be projecting--I mean, we all live our lives projecting--and if that's the case, I'm sure my further experience with the community will lessen any noticed tendencies of the kind.

Perique, I've already admitted to having limited experience with the community. What purpose does it serve to make me admit that I haven't been to a pipe club meeting or a show?

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Lesson of the day: once Perique jumps to the conclusion that you're a troll, you might as well just give up convincing him otherwise.

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Perique, I've already admitted to having limited experience with the community. What purpose does it serve to make me admit that I haven't been to a pipe club meeting or a show?"

To emphasize the fact that your first post here was to criticize the community from a position of ignorance, rather than to take the time to truly understand or involve yourself in the community. It's shameful, really. But part of your team's M.O.

(But then, that's par for the course for the politically correct pseudo-science crowd, isn't it?)

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not going to wade into the little pissing match going on in this thread.

But I will say that I agree that at times this forum has seemed unwelcoming to females. Not often, not always, but enough for me to notice it. I wouldn't call it sexist, because -ist words usually make people dig in.

My basic rule with my students is that if the thing you want to say isn't constructive in some way, don't say it. Things like the Molto Dolce ad strike me as non-constructive.

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All of that said, you are coming across as an asshole

No YOU are the one coming off as an asshole. I'd back off.
    There was a huge dust up years ago when P&T ran an full page for ad for somthing with a nude in silhouette and a unknowing vendor at a pipe show with a booth babe. The Pipe community is made up of pretty buttoned down guys compared to the cigar world. I've been a slightly uncomfortable with the treatment of women at cigar events over the years. Anyway IMO it's a fair question.

Posted 5 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Perique, you're impossible, man. I give up on trying to explain myself over and over again.

Escioe, I've learned my lesson here by using the word "sexist." I use a similar rule with my own students.

Posted 5 years ago #
  44. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I use a similar rule with my own students."

That explains a lot.

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perique's a good dude with good taste in tobacco, and I'm going to guess he'd have been a lot more amenable to what you're trying to say here if you were active in other parts of the forum. At least I'd hope so.

Posted 5 years ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Escioe, I hope that proves to be true.

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I use a similar rule with my own students."

That explains a lot.

Please tell me you're not going after public school teachers with this, that I'm misreading it somehow.

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@dave
    "No YOU are the one coming off as an asshole."

I think you're going to find yourself in the minority on this one. Someone comes here, very first post, criticizing this fine community (and implicitly, the site owner)? Maybe the two of you need to attend sensitivity training together.

" I'd back off."

Fuck you.

Posted 5 years ago #
  49. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

escioe: not at all, my friend.

Posted 5 years ago #
  50. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perique, please brother. Lets go talk about some fine blends and let this all wash away.

Posted 5 years ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Perique, for the record, as I told Cosmic above, I wasn't criticizing the entire community as a whole. And was not making some 1 for 1 equivalency between the pipesmoking community and "sexist." But, rather, expressing curiosity about a trend I've seen in my first two months exploring the pipe-world.

Secondly, I really had no idea that the owner of the site created the ad, first of all. And I clearly was not aiming to insult him.

Posted 5 years ago #
  52. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Calm down ladies.

Posted 5 years ago #
  53. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree that joining a community to voice a really critical opinion like this is bad form.

But it's clear that he's not totally alone in this. Probably a minority, but it seems to me something worth discussing. This reminds me of the 'pipe smokers live longer' thread that got closed a while ago. Some bad form sort of stuff going on, but really, it seems to be an issue worth talking about. Civilly.

Posted 5 years ago #
  54. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq1t1iFmsv0][/url]

Posted 5 years ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Also, I didn't join the community in order to make this post. I joined the community a couple days ago, actually, because of the great advice and insight I've seen on here. This just struck me today as I listened to last week's podcast. Thought it'd be an interesting discussion. Didn't expect it to be taken in this way. Otherwise, I would have established some kind of rapport before doing so.

Posted 5 years ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

the occasional joke about "finding a different wife if she doesn't like the smell of your tobacco.

You need to visit some gun forums....by contrast that would be a highbrow gentlemanly response to a woman that complained about her husband's hobby.

Posted 5 years ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck, you are always there to lighten the situation.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  58. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am hindered, or perhaps helped, by not having seen the ad in question. I both admire the creativity of some
    ads and resent nearly all of them for being manipulative, designed to pull our chains of longing and insecurity.
    I don't think an ad fairly or objectively represents the community in which it appears, whether it is the epitome
    of taste or really crass and vulgar or worse. Ads in my environment don't in any way characterize me; the makers
    of ads would like them to, but they don't. They almost occur in a separate universe. Or, if you like, I occur in a
    separate universe. Don't tear each other up about an advertisement. It's like the sailors who used to go into the
    bar and start a fight, and then ducked under a table while others got their noses broken. This ad is that sailor.

Posted 5 years ago #
  59. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In all seriousness, I do think that blindmansleeps is coming across as hyper-sensitive about this issue. To say that it is sexist to make a joke about finding a different wife when they don't like your tobacco is really ridiculous. My wife makes jokes about finding a different husband all the time (hard to believe, given how loveable and well-endowed I am).

Could someone accuse blindmansleeps of ableism because of the way he uses the word "blind" in his screen name? Is he saying that all blind men do is sleep? Is he suggesting that they are lazy? That would, in my view, be silly.

If everything is sexism, then nothing is. This sort of hyper-sensitivity merely serves to devalue the term "sexism" and does no favor for those who suffer from it in its real and truly injurious form.

Posted 5 years ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Peck, I understand that the line could come across as a joke. Nonetheless, when put into a certain context, it kind of implies that one's wife is another hobby. In my very personal opinion (and of course, I can speak for no other's), it's a joke that I would never make. If something happened and my wife required that I stop smoking for her health, or some other reason, I'd at the very least consider it sincerely, and even quit the hobby. And not regret it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  61. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To me, smoking a pipe is about relaxation. I don't care who smokes it, how often, or where you smoke it. Which is why I'm a little thrown off by the occasional resurrections of vintage pipe culture.
    I take pipe, stuff with tobacco, smoke it, enjoy light hearted comments from ALL, drink beer, could give a shit less about the Correctness stuff on either side. Now , lets be civil pipe smokers and move on(TAADAA)...

"the weez"...
    Posted 5 years ago #
  62. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The fact is blindmansleeps that men and women often make sarcastic jokes about one another and BOTH find it funny. My wife and I do this all the time. We find each other to be hilarious. I don't know at what level of education you teach, but it sounds a bit like you have swallowed the communal kool-aid and buy into the notion that no sensitivity, however extreme, shall go unprotected. I am a part-time university prof too, so I know the environment.

Posted 5 years ago #
  63. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

I get that Peck. My wife and I kid with each other in the same way, knowing that we're kidding. When the addressee is not familiar with the speaker, however, the message itself becomes at the least indeterminable, and left to a multitude of interpretations (which is why I would never make such a joke in public). Which is why you shouldn't take my mentioning that single element as isolated. Instead, my take-away has been built on a number of experiences taken together. Given clearer context within which the addressee sits, an indeterminate statement becomes less indeterminate. This is pretty much Roman Jakobson's scheme of language comprehension verbatim. Language doesn't exist in a vacuum, and it doesn't exist as an essence. Speakers, listeners, contexts, all work fluidly. So don't isolate that individual instance so much, but consider it as belonging to number of variables, which have, apparently, in my case led to a certain tendency.

Posted 5 years ago #
  64. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is pretty much Roman Jakobson's scheme of language comprehension verbatim. Language doesn't exist in a vacuum, and it doesn't exist as an essence. Speakers, listeners, contexts, all work fluidly. So don't isolate that individual instance so much, but consider it as belonging to number of variables, which have, apparently, in my case led to a certain tendency.
    And, If the Dog did not stop to take a Shit, He would have Caught the Cat! What does this have to do with pipe smoking??? NOW, what blend of tobacco do you prefer...

Posted 5 years ago #
  65. User has not uploaded an avatar

blindmansleeps

Login to Send PM

Weezell, I agree. It has nothing to do with pipe smoking. Which is why I've been a little confused when strange statements have surfaced. Just ran across another one on tobaccoreviews.

Anyways, I have to be honest. I've only been smoking a pipe for something like two months. I've had the chance to smoke some great tobaccos, but I'm still learning a ton. Right now, I'm enjoying a MacBaren blend: Plumcake. Though, I recently got a taste of Latakia, and am looking to dive more in that direction. Any suggestions?

Posted 5 years ago #
  66. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not on drugs, but I'm starting to get this feeling like if I was this entire thread might make more sense ?

Posted 5 years ago #
  67. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently got a taste of Latakia, and am looking to dive more in that direction. Any suggestions?
    Since this storm has seemed to blow over I could suggest Sutiff's Blend No. 5 or Dunhill's My Mixture 965 both great Latakia blends
    ~Ron

Posted 5 years ago #
  68. hammerhorror

hammerhorror

Login to Send PM

My reaction to this thread:
    Nope

Posted 5 years ago #
  69. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've read this thread with interest. My conclusion is that blindmansleeps is a very bigoted and intolerant individual.

I'm surprised the thread has lasted as long as it has. Still, there's been a laugh or two in it.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  70. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Regarding latakia blends, I just had a nice bowl of GLP Quiet Nights. I think GLP Meridian might be close to the platonic ideal of latakia mixture. Dunhill's 965 is another great suggestion. I can't get on board with rmason's other suggestion because for a couple of reasons I don't smoke Sutliff tobaccos.

Posted 5 years ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   elpfeife, mso489, sasquatch, alaskanpiper, jaytex969, steveg11, pylorns, mikethompson, dcon, litup, brooklynpiper