PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I don't know how summer is treating you gents in your places of residence, but Central Europe is on fire. 37 degrees celsius at 8 o clock in the evening, tomorrow a 43 high is expected. This is taking a toll on my tobacco. I use these things to keep my tobacco moist - they are really nice, and you don't have to fill them all the way, that way you control the moisture level:
IMG_20170803_1940489.jpg

The jars that don't have one of these (I bought the last three at this place in France), dried the tobacco like bone. It's not completely dust, but very harsh. The ones having the little humidifier started drying big time also - one of my blends was almost as dry as if without. I keep my tobacco in jars like these, mostly pharmacy though:
IMG_20170803_1940435.jpg

I don't mean to sound snobbish, but I like my tobacco a bit on the moist side. Am I doing something wrong? Is my system not ok? I am afraid do open any more tins at this point. We keep the a/c going though only at night and when we are home...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
43 C = 109 F! Holy mackerel, that's very hot.
You will probably need to manually re-humidify your tobacco.
And, for the love of Satan, get an air conditioner or other cooling device! You're going to melt.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
We have air conditioning,except that I have a back problem.. Can't much stand ac. Mason jars .. They are not popular around here, but I think I have seen some available. I will give it a try ..

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What pst says. What you've illustrated- the leather and the one with the cork top— are very porous, won't hold moisture in or out!
Too much trouble to hydrate those discs, replace them again and again. Get some airtight jars!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
My cousins living in the rural southern TX Land(town of Bandera) are reporting most consantly 100-106 f heat numbers,moreover this results them getting a whopping electric bills due to day&night

(72f + rain here by ever each day+A/C on my car went broken-due to leaking condenser unit,now I'm replace it with new one ordered it from U.S,though this may require some time due to my temporary financical shortage,caused by my endless pipe acquisitions)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Here in the Pacific Northwest where we see rain 8-9 months out of the year, and normally enjoy 80 degree temps with some 90 degree temps in the summer; it's been horrible. We've had multiple 100+ degree days now, and more to come. It was 104 the past two days. To make things worse, my AC went out today, so hopefully the service man will show up tomorrow to fix the heat pump/AC. It's 1:49am currently, its 69 degrees outside, and 82 inside... I'm miserable. Even with the windows open and fans on this house won't cool down. :(

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
Hey Madox07...looking forward to meeting up for a pipe in Timisoara soon! you are right, it's way too hot here right now! Especially for an Englishman used to rain and clouds!
Regarding mason jars...I spent months searching for Ball mason jars in Europe, before that I was buying them from the states, then having friends bring them to me in their luggage when they came to visit...I found them at Lakeland in the UK, with shipping to Romania....link is below...they have a few of the popular sizes, and prices are a little higher than the states but not ridiculous...
I went through multiple jars and styles from the Romanian stores (I tried everything from Carrefour to Selgros), and I found they were never quite airtight enough...kept getting dry tobacco...I tried those disks you have too, they do work, but I've found that a real, true Ball Mason jar (or other brand if it's an actual mason jar design) does the trick and I haven't had any problems since...
long story short, mason jars for the win!
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/70512/6-Ball-Mason-Standard-Glass-Jam-Jars-and-Lids-490ml
see you soon!

In Alabama we have the summer doldrums set it, where there's no breeze, heat, and high humidity. You sweat just setting still, with no evaporation. So, I have more of an issue drying my tobacco over keeping it moist. Yesterday, I had brought a cigar with me out to the field, and after leaving it on my dashboard I had a hard time lighting it. It was like a soggy turd.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Madox,
I concur with the Mason / Bell Jar suggestion. We have a chain of stores over here, Tractor Supply, that has 1 dozen of the large mouth jars for $9.99. Maybe you can find a similar situation over there.
As far as it drying out your tobacco....
Have you tried any of it in your pipe when it's drier than you usually smoke it?
The reason I ask is that I had wrongly assumed for many years that if it got too dry it would taste bad and burn hot. Luckily, after encouragement from folks here and other sites I started trying my tobacco drier and drier.
Gotta tell ya, it's a life changer for me.
It smokes cooler, and more flavorful.
Don't let it get get dusty, crumbly dry. Just "not wet or moist" dry. You'll find that the tobacco is more springy and virtually impossible to pack too tight.
The down side is that you pack less in a bowl and it finishes a little sooner, but the experience is better for me.
Just my $0.02 (American for just my opinion)
Cheers
Dino

I even enjoy drying the tobacco to bone dry, but I just pack the tobacco a lot tighter than normal. Moist tobacco forms a tighter bond that lets less air pass, but dry tobacco seems to allow more air to pass regardless of how tightly it's packed. Semois and D&R tobaccos are what turned me onto smoking dryer. Now, don't get me wrong. I am not at all consistent with always drying mine to crunchy, I like the diversity of smoking a various degrees of moistness.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many areas that have never had air conditioning are now installing it. I just called my heating and air contractor for a maintenance call. Where I live, a.c. is like central heat in the winter. You don't have to have it, but it is a major adaptation (and to most a discomfort) if you don't.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
It's been so hot it's basically sucked the life and vitality right out of me (and I'm young). Haven't felt like smoking much in this heat... unless I've a cold beer to go with it.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
It seems that mason jars are the norm ... I never gave them much credit until this problem occurred. The thing is, I don't dislike smoking dry, and given the current state of affairs I prefer smoking dry to throwing the tobacco away. But I prefer my tobacco a tad on the moist side. I guess I might just have to change the whole tobacco recipient inventory if I am to keep it moist.
bonanzadriver I have tried it in my pipe ... like you said, it burns faster, it is a bit more brittle and as somebody else said it can pack tighter. No problem with the taste, other than the smoke is dryer and you taste it a bit different. I suppose that smoking dry or moist is a matter of taste.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
gandalfspipe Thanks for the tip ... if all else fails this seems the closest I can get the darn jars ..

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I sometimes seal sweet tobaccos in mason jars, and leave them in a place that is both dark and warm. It tends to gently roast them and they mature wonderfully.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I saw 35C (95F) today on my car thermometer. They say it is going to be hotter than this starting from next week, I guess it will be close to 45C (113F). Taking into account the sea, you can also guess my main problem regarding the pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.