PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
So I'm out of Zippo fluid and I made a quick run to the local Walmart, where they sell:
Cigars, Cigarettes, Chew/Dip, Butane Lighters, Matches, Vape products, paint thinner, various flammable automotive products, various flammable hair care products, camp stove fuel, propane tanks, charcoal fluid and who knows what all (as Andy Griffith would say).
The even sell Zippo brand lighters!
Guest what they don't sell? Yep - neither Zippo, nor Ronson lighter fluid. And to be sure, it wasn't that they were out and waiting on a shipment, it was a flat, "we don't carry it."
NPS feedback provided on their site.
Ok - I feel better now.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Last year I bought a zippo and ronson fuel. They did not have zippo fuel at that time.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Last time I stopped at WalMart on my way to camp(first time in over a year) I left feeling like I needed a shower. One big, stinking din of screaming kids, bitching-benefit-scroungers, and motorized fatsos. I swear it is no jest when I tell you all who would listen that a fat, flatulent, boofer relieved himself next to me near a Lay's chips display. Not even an apology or acknowledgement. He may as well have been dead, rather that walking around filling his sweatpants with flatulence and spending tax dollars on junk-food. Hate to sound like the antagonist from the film Se7en, but it was incredible. Laughing as I type this now, but I didn't see the humour in it then.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
One big, stinking din of screaming kids, bitching-benefit-scroungers, and motorized fatsos.
I've never experienced this myself although I've laughed at pictures on peopleofwalmart or whatever it's called, no denying it's a real thing. I've been in Walmarts across Canada and down into Maine but the strangest was in Fort MacMurray, looks like a natural disaster or something happened, empty shelves everywhere and that is the normal state of the store.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The nearest Walmart to me actually carries Prince Albert tobacco. It's not my favorite OTC so I don't buy it but its there if I want to.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
d at WalMart on my way to camp(first time in over a year) I left feeling like I needed a shower. One big, stinking din of screaming kids, bitching-benefit-scroungers, and motorized fatsos. I swear it is no jest when I tell you all who would listen that a fat, flatulent, boofer relieved himself n
Great description, first time I have heard the word " boofer "

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Boofer: (boo_fur) noun.
Western Pennsylvanian slang used to describe narrow-minded country-folk.
-One who wears camouflage, flourecent-orange, floral-print, or character T-Shirts as part of their casual dress.
-An uneducated, trashy person attempting to function in modern society.
(Mostly used in restaurant lingo.)

"Damned boofers left me 2 dollars on an 80 dollar bill.-
It must be tax-return season because the store was booferific today!-
I waited on a pair of boofies today, why do they always smell like firewood smoke and earth?-"
Regards,
Jay.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Awesome Jay, that's going to be my new word to use. I'm going to start calling Walmart....BooferWorld.
Living here in NASCAR land, it also described 90% of the people who attend races.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
You guys might want to avoid Indiana and the rest of the Mid-West, outside of the big cities, if you are trying to avoid the camo, blaze orange & Carhartt's crowd.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Walmart nearest me in Raleigh, N.C., has Ronson lighter fluid. The inventory at Walmart is somewhat spotty. I've seen them sell out of distilled water, of all things. Maybe some folks in these parts will buy anything that's been distilled.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Where I live, in the Lowermainland of British Columbia (Canada), Walmart sells Ronson Lighter Fluid, but not the Zippo. I've found that the best price on Zippo Lighter Fluid around here is at my local MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop), which is a fabulous outdoor gear outfitter. Apparently Zippos are the bees knees for high altitude mountaineering, more so than butane lighters -- hence they keep ready a steady supply of both Zippos and the Zippo lighter fluid.

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
I Don't go to walmart. I'll pay an extra sawbuck or 2 for my stuff to avoid it. It's against what I stand for on too many levels. There are some places I have traveled to where it's almost the only game in town and you have to travel a significant distance to have another option. Unfortunate.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You guys might want to avoid Indiana and the rest of the Mid-West, outside of the big cities, if you are trying to avoid the camo, blaze orange & Carhartt's crowd.

And Kentucky.
Boofer: (boo_fur) noun.
Western Pennsylvanian slang used to describe narrow-minded country-folk.
-One who wears camouflage, flourecent-orange, floral-print, or character T-Shirts as part of their casual dress.
-An uneducated, trashy person attempting to function in modern society.
(Mostly used in restaurant lingo.)

"Damned boofers left me 2 dollars on an 80 dollar bill.-
It must be tax-return season because the store was booferific today!-
I waited on a pair of boofies today, why do they always smell like firewood smoke and earth?-"
So.........a boofer is a pipe smoker?

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Walmart keeps the lighter fluids in the camping section with the propane and camp stoves.
Thanks Cosmic; once I get over my irritation at our local clueless group, I'll wander into camping to see if its stocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.