PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Anyone a fan of studying about Serial Killers?
I recently started watching Mindhunter, a show about FBI agents who're trying to create a term for Serial Killers and their psychological behavior. It's really fascinating.
Seeing how the feds are talking to the people and the process they go through just blows my mind, makes me want to do it.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Be mindful of what you study. Walking deep into dark minds will shape your mind in the same way. When you do it with police training you become smarter in criminal, forensic and tactical procedures as well. Police have the motivation and drive of hunters, except they specialize in hunting people. Given all of these tendencies it would seem you are walking down a slippery slope. All of that said, yes, I have studied these subjects.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
When I had a desk job and I was slacking off, I enjoyed reading the articles on trutv.com's serial killer database.

Coincencentally I watched the doc on HH Holmes on Netflix last night. Fun stuff.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Don't worry, brightleaf! I don't let myself be influenced by their sadistic beings. I'm more interested in why they're like how they are. Whether that be a horrendous upbringing like Charles Manson, or just a psychopathy/sociopathy background. I'm really big in things psychology, has always been a peak interest next to religion.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
When you understand something you gain a sympathy for it. We relate to things through our own experience. If you want a simplified Bad Guy labeling, then studying psychology is going to be a little more deep than you need to go. Many serial killers may actually be created by more powerful, respected people who want their crimes pinned on a patsy. The person in prison may not have hurt a fly (Psycho reference :) ) Humans can even have new personalities created within them without their knowledge. Dissociative, hypnotically induced assassins may be something you want to look into. Cult leaders and charismatic personalities usually have more training in these areas than you would guess. Crazy, psychotic, and serial killer are labels that these people receive when their usefulness is better served in them becoming a scapegoat.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Just last night I was looking up some of the serial killers which were never caught. One of them caught my eye almost immediately, Charlie Chop-off. I'd love to get behind his head and learn why he did what he did. I'm a fan of learning of previous case psychological issues and then try to use that knowledge to help someone. I've been heavily considering a career in psycho therapy (most likely normal stuff and not the psychopathic side).

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
And by the way. Charles Mason didn't kill anyone. Just because he is a convicted Mass Murder doesn't mean the court was ignorant of this fact. They decided to prosecute and convict him for something he didn't do, the truth is, he had deep knowledge of many secrets. Secret associations of the underbelly of L.A., secrets that they didn't want out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, I don't exert myself over-much in "understanding" horrific behavior. There are explanations, but they don't justify much less excuse the results. Several of these people have become "famous," or notorious on their deeds. People should work on themselves and only glance at the worst among us as negative examples. I feel sympathy and empathy for the law enforcement and others who have to spend time and effort with and on the cruel and murderous. It must require hard work to stay upbeat and humanly connected. Some of the perpetrators are charming and effective talkers, which gift-wraps their evil-doing. Ugh.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
A charismatic mastermind, yes. I wonder where he was trained?

Here is a picture of the logos for two groups of his friends. People he worked with on a regular basis.

friends-of-charles-manson-600x334.jpg

And it looks like these friends worked together in this ritual massacre that took place in front of the stage while The Rolling Stones played Friend of the Devil live

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altamont_Free_Concert

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I've been a 'people watcher' for most of my adult life and have a deep interest in true crime...specifically serial killers and their mindset.
Now here's a question for you. If a serial killer is declared mentally ill should he be sent to prison or a secure hospital?
Regards,
Jay.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
If a serial killer is declared mentally ill
What degree of mentally ill? Are we talking Bi-polar, schizophrenic, psychopathic/sociopathic, multi-personality-disorder?

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I meant "Sympathy for the Devil" all of the bands promoted by mainstream media at this time were working towards the same end, there satanic messages and song titles were so similar, my mistake.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
I never really felt a band had "satanic messages", just messages which could be misinterpreted into satanic items.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
How much have you studied Satanism? There are some Crowley fans on here, you may be able to find some sympathetic philosophy on this forum. Satanic and Satanism, even Luciferianism are not necessarily insulting words, they are simply descriptors referring to a philosophy/religion.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
At the National Academy, FBI Academy Quantico, I took classes from one of the agents who developed the "Behavorial Sciences" module. He led the way in profiling serial killers. They didn't really try to get into the minds of such, wasn't necessary, they were profiling, determining the behaviors of such as children and aging. TV is fun but, it's not truth, it's ad sales, audience size.
I won't get into the mundane and arcane, sufficient to say the Bureau can tell you many things which help to identify who a serial killer is, where he lives/lived, what his childhood was like (torturing animals is likely) ietc. It's like psychology, not a science so much as statistical collection and analyses.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"Now here's a question for you. If a serial killer is declared mentally ill should he be sent to prison or a secure hospital?"
Why, neither, of course. Instead of having their aberrant behavior indulged by society, they should be sent to the death house. People who tend to dawdle overmuch, trying to suss out the rattlesnake's motivations, often wind up bitten.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Ritual killing at Altamont? You gotta be F*ing kidding me !! Some dude was methed up and pulled a gun and got stabbed for it. What are you talking about? I'm not trying to be mean, I want to know.
There's a Satanic agenda in mainstream music? Aside from the Satanic Panic of the 1980's (which was clueless moms in a panic over D&D, Ozzy, and nothing), I've no clue what this is about and I've been a musician for almost 40 years. Even Death Metal (the genre, not the forum member) isn't about Satan. I really want to know where your facts come from.
Serial Killers indeed. Cereal killers more like it.
Interesting fact. Our nearest genetic cousin (98%), the chimpanzee, eats monkeys like slim-jims. Just grabs them and gnaws on them still squirming. The question SHOULD be why aren't ALL of us serial killers, munching on our neighbors? As Joe Rogan asked, "If I have a sandwich that is 98% shit and 2% ham, how is that a ham sandwich?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVSJ8kyfMIE

Thread's dead, baby. Thread's dead.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
This thread is all hat and no horse. Exactly why academians are dangerous. Until you've looked into the eyes of death, you're just spouting nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.