PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
One of Italy's best pipes, I believe, are the Ser Jacopo brand. Started by Giancarlo Guidi and Bruto Sordini in 1982.

These were purchased in the 1990's. They smoke as well as any of the best pipes that I have owned.
Ser Jacopo Gemline Granato

Ser Jacopo L2 straight grain

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought a Ser Jacopo bent (sinuous s-curved shank and stem) blast Dublin when SP had a Ser Jacopo sale and

I had just sold a long piece of writing to an anthology. It's a large Group 4 (medium size bowl) but quite deep,

and it smokes as well as any pipe I have, the equal to a Mountain Laurel hand carved pipe I bought from a local

carver about twelve years ago. SJ's are beautiful pipes and everything you want as a smoking tool. If and when

I want to splurge, I think SJ's would have my loyalty before I'd go to another expensive pipe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
As you can tell, I'm a satisfied repeat customer:

SerJacopo254-1.jpg

SJVanGogh2.jpg

getimagevar-3.jpg

PictaPicassoRight.jpg

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I own a Gepetto billiard, an SJ sub-brand. Lovely pipe; I'd have no qualms about buying another, or an SJ.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Ser Jacopo are great, my favorite VA/Per pipe is a bent, stacked Jacopo. I dearly love Castello and Rinaldo, but I think Ser Jacopo is tops in Italian pipes. I also have one of the Gepettos, and it smokes like a champ too.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have one, which is a bent blasted Rhodesian, and it is a great smoker.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Well, I looked over my Ser Jacopos with a magnifying glass, and could find no fills. I have read that Italian pipe makers were a little more forgiving in accepting tiny flaws, than say, the English. For instance I bought a Savinelli shape 225 dark stain last year from Cup O' Joes, and I just recently noticed two small fills on the left side. I wouldn't put up with this from a higher grade, but Savinelli will tell you up front that any pipe below their Giubileo d'Oro grade, may have fills. I keep it because they aren't that noticeble because of the stain, and it is a good smoker. But I would not tolerate that in their higher grades. I can understand being upset finding fills in Ser Jacopos Gemline series. I would rather find a small unfilled pit on an otherwise perfect pipe than a fill.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There are a ton of makers who have sprung up in the last 10 years, many of whom make a fine pipe. But of the dozen or so that have some history, such as Dunhill, Charatan, Ferndown, Castello and Ser Jacapo, and I'm sure I've forgotten more such makers than I have remembered, SJ ranks at the top. Very distinctive look; makes me think "large."

Status
Not open for further replies.