PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
More than I usually pay on ebay (Just under $160 after shipping), but I just loved the size, shape and grain. Was actually surprised I got it at this price. Hopefully I didn't just screw myself.

jljacdub2.jpg

jljacdub9.jpg

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
The best I could come up with is that a new one with similar grain condition grading would be in the $500-$600 range. But I don't know a whole lot about them other than I seem to like a lot of the ones I see.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Thanks for the info gigger. I can't wait to enjoy this one. Sounds like I stole might have stolen one.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
L3 grade has been discontinued a long time ago. I've only seen photos of one such pipe. Here.
Ser Jacopo did indeed use a red coral dot on the stems before 1997 when they started using the silver "J". The dot was either a simple coral dot, but also sometimes found encircled in a silver ring.
However, there are two current “seconds”, or affordable lines of Ser Jacopo that are mostly seen in the European market. They may have fills or other small faults. Both carry a red spot on the stem.
La Fuma is a better of the two and have a red plastic dot on the top of the stem. Often have silver rings or mounts. They have "Ser Jacopo" and "La Fuma" stamped on them. However, all the La Fumas I've seen in person, the "Ser Jacopo" stamp is in sans-serif font, and not in script like the "regular" Ser Jacopos do. Example.
Modica is cheaper of the two series and have a red plastic dot on the side of the stem. Example.
OP's pipe has the "Ser Jacopo" stamp in script, so that makes me think that it's an pre-1997 pipe .... unless it has a "La Fuma" stamp.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Great info Gig & jarit.
Coral Dot, Spigot, very nice grain, unsmoked. I'd definetly say you got a great deal.
I'm sure you will love it.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
If it helps, this one says "Per Jacopo" in script. Below that it says "Fatta a Mano" On the opposite side it says "Per Aspera" and below that it says "Ad Astra." On the bottom it says "Melolontha."
I don't see an L, L1, L2, etc anywhere. But that just proves I can't see it in the pictures. There could be an "L" something once I see it in person.
Here's the full listing: Ser Jacopo Pipe

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Between the silver spigot and the grain, seems to me like a great purchase. Hope you enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought an SJ at smokingpipes.com on deep discount, during a sale, for just a little more than you

paid, a new pipe. It's a blast Dublin with a sort of "s" bent shaft and stem, "sinuous" was the

description. The stain is bright orange brown. I love the pipe and I'd buy another. Some seem a bit

heavy for their size, but the one I bought isn't. Yours is beautiful, and it is difficult to guess why it

has been unsmoked.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Great looking Ser Jacopo, you will love it. They smoke differently, but are the equal in quality and smokability of Castello.

Status
Not open for further replies.