PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Today I sat down at my desk shortly after 6:00, as normal. Then I got the message that work was cancelled due to the extreme cold. Many places in Chicagoland are closed today due the record breaking cold of -15 degrees.
Stay warm everyone.
Winton

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
My wife's office is open here in Michigan, but there's no way she could get there. We have 16" of snow in the drive, and the only thing to go down our rural street in the last 24 hours was a snowmoble. It'll be a day -- at least -- before the plows can get here, I think. And here, the local government is telling nonessential people to stay off the roads altogether.
Bob

love2smoke

Lurker
Jan 1, 2014
Jeez, I work outside most of the day and it was -29 celsius with the wind chill near 3 days in a row last week.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
It's plus 5c in Ottawa right now, and everything is melting...for now. We are under a flash freeze warning, and the temps are dropping to -23c by tonight not including windchill. We can generally deal with the cold, but the streets will be sheets of ice by early this afternoon. Another home office day for me!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
sounds pretty cold where you guys are.. Its about 12 F here but supposed to get up to about 35 today.. Much warmer than your areas! Stay warm guys and have a good week

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I heard on the news this morning that some areas in the Prairies are at risk of hitting -50C. Add the wind chill and it gets as low as -65C.
Bundle Up!!!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
We are looking at a high with the windchill of -42c for the next few days. For the Yanks, minus forty is the only temp where Celsius and Fahrenheit are the same. Exposed skin freezes in under 5 mins.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
With the wind chill, it feels like 12 degrees, according to TWC. Tonight we are supposed to get something like down to 4 degrees, or lower.
I tell ya, we are not supposed to get weather like this in Tenn-o-see.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It was -10F in KC this morning. Had a couple inches of snow to go with it. No big deal there except no chance of it melting anytime soon.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
and both are damn cold
Last year we had over a hundred days that were below -40 as well as record snow fall, somewhere around 150" of snow. This year the average temp is around -20 and only about 30-40" of snow so damn near balmy weather. lol

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Holy Shit Blue! Where are you so I can make sure not to travel there in the winter. I'm in Southern Ontario (just outside Toronto) so we don't get anything close to weather like that......except for the last week. My car read -25C the other day, that's straight temperature, and I've never had my car read it that cold before.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up in the extra cold Chicago winters in the 1950's and early 60's and learned to respect

the cold. People in the middle South sport around in t-shirts in coat weather, and many get

away with it, especially young folks. Below a certain temperature, I just reflexively pull on a

coat, scarf, hat and gloves (no, not when the temp goes below 60 F!). Sometimes, I want to

say to these kids, do you own a coat? And when did you think you might wear it? But if you

have the metabolism, more power to you. I stay healthier if I remain a little warm myself.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Worst I ever saw was during a stint up at CFB Alert. Located in the Qikiqtaaluk Region, Nunavut, Canada, it is the northernmost permanently inhabited place in the world. It hit, with the wind chill, 117 below zero.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Funny thing about Chicago's weather: I lived in Winnipeg, and temperatures in the -30 to 40 range were commonplace. One winter, I had to make a brief trip to Chicago, and in the two days that I was there enjoying the temperatures that hovered around zero I was darned cold. Don't know how they do it. I couldn't wait to get back to my Canadian winter.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
We were as cold as the planet mars the other day, and the city still moved on. Chicago -15? That's like a break for us here in Canada.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
People who don't know about Winnipeg have no idea what it means to walk over the Salter Street bridge or to cross Portage at Main in January. Of course, now there's an underground walkway. Even Winnipeggers are getting soft. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.