PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I did a thread a while ago questioning whether a Dunhill pipe was all it was cracked up to be, if it was worth the price tag. Got a PM from iamn8, saying he would send me some materials to determine if Dunhill was really "worth it."

Yesterday was a crappy day. I had to go to therapy to treat my swelling leg problem, then after I finished, got in my new Dart and started to slowly pull of the lot, I got rear-ended by someone driving between the lanes too fast. Scraped my beautiful metallic blue paint job good. The driver and I exchange numbers and other info, and I head back home.

A few hours later, a black, elongated box appears in the mail, the size and shape typically used for a pipe. I was expecting iamn8's package today, but I expected an envelope of documents, not what I thought could only be in the box. "No one is that generous or crazy," I thought. But iamn8 was--in the black box was a beautiful Dunhill black dress billiiard with a huge chamber, enclosed with some quality tobacco to christen it. I think about the earlier part of the day, and how Emerson tells us things balance out. I smoke the tobacco sample with my estate Dunhill--I'm now an official Dunhill owner. Later on, after I got over the shock, I wrote iamn8 with profuse thanks for this extraordinary gift, and asked why me? He explained to me someone gifted him with a large quantity of tobacco, and he just wanted to "pay it forward" and remembering my thread, decided to send an estate Dunhill to me.

When I look in the papers or hear the news about the rabid people out there, I have to remember iamn8 and what a kind, sharing, and generous brotherhood we have here. Thanks again, brother.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Oops, forgot the photo:

img_0877-600x280.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What an elegant pipe. Another generous hearted Forums member was so kind as to send me a beautiful Ferndown bent billiard with some tobacco he'd tried and didn't like. Not expecting the pipe, I didn't even get it out of the box until he asked about it. Great group of folks, and great individuals.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ha-ha, I think iamn8 has biased the argument a little. That Dunhill is worth a million bucks.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
mso489 is absolutely right: the argument for me is compromised and this Dunhill is worth its weight in gold.

Objectively? The draw is clean and unimpeded; this is a fine pipe, manufactured with great care. The aesthetics are topnotch.. How well does it compare with my other pipes, primarily Petersons? Well...probably a fractional bit better, or equal to a new other pipe that hasn't collected any carbonization yet. Will I get more Dunhills on my own? Probably not--still too pricey, even as an estate, because a good estate will be a good but expensive pipe. What pipe would I bring if invited to the Playboy Mansion? No doubt, this one--and I'd smoke it after a bedroom romp with a Bunny. But my objectivity stops there. This gift is just too overwhelming. God bless iamn8!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That's a great read, warms the heart........

A great way to turn a bad day into a wonderful one! Good on you Nate- a generous gift at the perfect time....

The kindness and generosity in this brotherhood here is amazing!! :clap:

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Wow, that is absolutely fantastic. There are so many generous members of the online pipe community it continues to astound me.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Thanks guys! I'm humbled and thrilled I could help turn an otherwise bad day around. Who wouldn't want to be a part of such things? If something brings you great pleasure, it's only right that you share the joy. i was given a gift and asked to pay it forward. Thanks Booker! And sparrow, I hope you'll enjoy many a smoke! Pay it forward :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Outstanding!! Enjoy that new Dunhill sparrow and good on ya brother Nate!! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.