PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I've been meaning to invest in a proper reamer for a while. But as the cake build up is slow and I like to try no blends, I've been spending my money on tobacco instead. My step-daughter has been asking what I would like for my birthday and I'm thinking of asking for a senior pipe reamer. I thought I'd check with the forum first in case there are any others I should be looking at?
Cheers
Senior%20Pipe%20Reamer,%20Pipe%20Tool.jpg

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I have one. It doesn't ream the bottom of the bowl. Now, I just use a butner style reamer. It does a great job.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I have never used a Castleford reamer, but I can tell you that I use the Senior reamer on a daily basis and it is an extremely aggressive instrument. The fact that it is adjustable is its major benefit. Should you find a Senior Reamer kit (I got mine from West Virginia Smokeshop for about -$20 other places), the other tools (shank brushes, hand-turned drill bit, etc) are very useful for regular cleaning of one's pipes.

Aug 1, 2012
I have one and it is nice for refurbishing estates but, as others have said, it doesn't get the bottom of the bowl and in my experience it is too small in diameter to cleanly/evenly ream a really broad bowl without considerable finesse.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
That's a nice Senior pipe reamer. But I get by with those British Butner Reamers. About $15 on eBay. Ingenious fits-all device. Don't think they'll really go to the bottom. I find if I clean after every smoke, I rarely have to ream. On my high grades I'll often use fine grit wrapped around a dowel. It's a more delicate treatment.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Withnail:
Used my Senior Reamer earlier this evening on a heavily caked estate purchase. They're fabulous instruments of deconstruction, so be careful, pard.
I also use a Castleford, Butner and one of those little caliper/compass type devices that really does work quite well.
Every tool has it's place.
Fnord

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
I use this one:

http://thepipesmoker.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/let-them-eat-cake/

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
IMO the senior type dreamer is more versatile because it is infinitely adjustable; the Castleford gives only 4 options. I just got a vintage Kleen Ream for those "in between " sizes. I love the Castleford though and the Butner, too. They all have a learning curve, to be sure. And as Fnord said each tool has its place. If you're going to get one, I'd start with the Castleford for its lower learning curve but still high grade of versatility.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I have a senior reamer. As others have said it's good for reaming when there is a lot of build up. For fine reaming I use a cheap pocket knife with a curved tip that I filed the edge off of.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have the Senor and the Castleford set. 90% of the time the bits on the Castleford fit my bowls better than the Senor. On my pipes, the angle of the Senors jaws dont' ream the sides evenly and I have to be careful not to cut a groove in the middle of the bowl. The bottom angle also doesn't seem to fit well either. The shank drill is a nice piece that I do use frequently on estates.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have only used a Senior and have had no issues using it. I like the idea of the Castleford also so I will get one to augment my Senior, one can never have too many accessories for the pipe.

intrepid721

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2013
Thornton, Colorado
Thanks for the posts folks, as I've been wondering about the different types of reamers that are available, I have Savinelli three sided reamer, but have been considering picking up on of the other varieties as well. As none of my pipes have demonstrated a need for reaming yet it's been on the back burner, but none the less it's nice to see what works for folks and why when making a purchasing decision. Yet another helpful thread! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.