PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm sure this is not news, but FYI, you can send a sufficient sample for a bowl or two of a blend in a first class letter. Just put it in a plastic snack bag, probably with a clear label to advise the postal inspector what it is, and send it along with first class postage. Make sure it lies good and flat. It shouldn't show a lump. This is a good way to let the recipient know if he wants to try a whole tin or bulk shipment of a blend and doesn't require a trip to the post office or postal machine. This only works with loose tobacco. This simplifies sampling and makes life easier -- more time for the pipes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The crucial measurement is that it has to be under 3/4" thick. Easily done. Good advice, MSO489.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Correction: My initial post, when I said to put a label on the sample, I meant inside the envelop with the sample, not on the outside. There is confusion among postal workers (U.S.) about sending tobacco through the mail. Don't excite them by putting anything on the outside of the envelope. Only include it inside in case the envelope gets opened by an inspector or torn open in handling. If a worker confers with his supervisor, if the supervisor knows her/his stuff, they will know it's not a problem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Because of the public restrictions on smoking, apparently many postal employees think it is contraband.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I've also send a sample via usps in a plain envelope with the tobacco in a baggie. Cost a standard stamp...easy peasy...I did not say a word, none of their business as it is a legal product sent via a legal method.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I prefer the Priority envelope or small box because it comes with tracking and insurance.
The extra few bucks means that I can send larger samples and extra goodies with peace of mind.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
My local post office said they will not ship tobacco. Michigan.
This is why I think sending it snail mail and just putting stamps on an envelope, dropping into a mailbox is the best bet, just like a letter.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
That's how I sent out some Stonehaven samples recently.
When the postal worker asked what's in it the envelope I was very very close to saying none of your damn business but instead decided to be civil and tell her a brochure. lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you Stan for a second round of Tambolaka, in a business envelop first class.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I just received my order of some 3x5 zip lock baggies that I intend to use for such. $2.49 at widgetsupply.com Thanks for the tip MSO.

Status
Not open for further replies.