PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I sure miss it. I first tried it 35 years ago, and normally had some with me the last few years before they went out of business. I haven’t had any for almost 4 years. I keep thinking that I’m going to cave and pay the gougers on eBay, but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
Any other Sen Sen fans out there?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You are talking about the candy, right?
A400253x_sen-sen.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
You might look for Flavigny Anise pastilles, they sell them on Amazon in small tins. I prefer the lavender myself, but Anise and Licorice are both good as well.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I feel your pain... I was a fan also... Here are others I enjoy:
http://www.licoriceinternational.com/licorice/pc/Anise-Drops-50g-tin-1-3-4-oz-14p238.htm
http://www.licoriceinternational.com/licorice/pc/Chips-by-Chipurnoi-1-4-lb-Bag-6p5.htm
http://www.licoriceinternational.com/licorice/pc/Lakerol-b17.htm
and my favorite... my replacement is:
http://www.french-candy.com/refreshing-drops/mountain-secret-anis-9.html

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
What lasttango said! My parent's live in Lincoln, NE and the licorice international store is one of my favorite places to go when I'm in town. I can assure you they are the real deal! Call them and they can get you any licorice you desire.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Good lord! that's what they were. Coincidentally, I was asking friends if they remember these a few months ago. I had no idea what they were and could only describe them as "tiny pillows of liquorice nastiness". No one had a clue what I was talking about. I'm sure the ones I had were in a small tin though. I remember buying these or something very similar when I was a boy and I hated them. I have not seen them since.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I had no idea what Sen Sen was.
My only point of reference was Robert Preston's Prof. Harold Hill sing-songing about young miscreants having Sen Sen on their breath to cover up tobacco and/or alcohol fumes in the "The Music Man."
Yack.
I hate black licorice, beets and liver.
Bon appetit,
Fnord

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This post reminded me how much I enjoy black licorice after a pipe. I ordered some anice chips and coins last night. Glad you brought this up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My grandma used to keep those around, that soapy licorice taste. I always enjoyed them but haven't had one in years. People ate 'em like people eat Tic-Tacs now, as a breath freshener and random snack. Old brands come back around. Pabst has caught on with college kids, partly because it's so cheap, maybe also because it's watery enough as a thirst quencher to not slow you down. It's the anti-artisanal beer. Then there's that old standard brand, Clabber Girl Baking Powder; did you know they own the Indianapolis 500 franchise? Who knew. So there's life in those old brands yet.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Candy coated anise seeds at your local bulky barn , or favourite Indian food resto

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I used to love Sen Sen! Such tiny little squares of intense flavor. I think I still have a half of a packet here somewhere. My grandfather used to always have a tin of "Helps" in his pocket. Another odd flavored licorice based little squares, but bigger than Sen Sen. Funny how we don't think of this stuff until someone reminds us about it and then we miss them.

s-l640-600x488.jpg

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
@tango, thanks for the links. I am going to see if I can get some now.
Back to Sen Sen for a moment...I used to put them into those little, tiny glass bottles (vials) that those concentrated oils came in for flavoring candy and stuff. I think it was just a comfort thing for me to pull the tiny bottle out of my pocket and throw 1 or 2 in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.