PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It’ll be extremely hard to get, but I’ll still be trying to get my hands on it just like everyone else!
On Guard!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I may try for it, then I'll sulk a while, and then I'll open my first tin of Royal Yacht, which is probably

exotic enough for me. Right now it's aging in the drop-front pipe rack compartment.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I recently tried the Bouchons de Semois and was not terribly impressed but then finding a pipe that can really cope with a bouchon is no simple task.
Hopefully the amount we overpay for this tobacco when it hits our shores will go to the farmers.
Another nice scoop Kevin.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A friend of mine recently got some from each of the three manufacturers of Semois. I sampled the mildest one, forget who makes it, at the West Coast Pipe Show. It was pretty enjoyable. Definitely a more complex flavor profile. It takes a few bowls to start grasping them.
Definitely one I would recommend everyone try. I mostly only smoke Cavendish aromatics and I enjoyed the few bowls I had of it.
What I'm wondering is if this will help out Russ Oullette. He mentioned at the show that he's dying to mix it with Perique and see what happens. The way it is currently, pre-January distribution, it would be far too costly to give it a go. Now that it'll be exported to the States it might be feasible for Russ to start tinkering with levels and concocting a new blend.
Anyways, great news because I'd love to get through an entire pouch of it.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Woods road wrote:
Which makes me wonder: If pipe smokers are such gourmands, what's up with all the kool-aid-flavored aromatics? Why no moules-frites or Konijn met pruimen blends?

Are you volunteering to do the taste testing? :roll:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm hesitant to accept the nomination of my party as Official Gourmand Belgique Tabak tester, but if you insist, perhaps a few months in Belgium, at the membership's expense, wouldn't be entirely horrible.
A Semois Abbey Tripple...or perhaps a HommelpaptartVaPer?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Thanks for the link to your blog, arno--it was excellent supplemental material about the background of this curious concoction. Also, the recommendation of a corncob (MM of course)--from experience I can attest that, like a good steak prepared in a cast iron pan in the broiler, it will leave its signature flavor behind. Overall I'm excited to see the tobacco market expanding enough to allow these niche products an outlet.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I got an ounce a few weeks ago from my nephew, I'm glad the hunt is over for me...I won't be looking to get anymore when it hits the states.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
UPDATE: WE HAVE THE WHERE AND WHEN - SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM FOR THE NEWS -

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/semois-tobacco-from-vincent-manil-available-in-usa-january-2014/

Status
Not open for further replies.