PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtd1

Lurker
Apr 21, 2017
This is my first ever pipe tobacco review.
Pre Smoke

It comes in a gold foil brick with a paper label. It's bone dry, but interestingly it's very springy. You need to pack it way tighter than normal. The aroma is slightly sweet but it mostly just smells like dry tobacco. Mainly because it is, there doesn't appear to be any sort of casing or topping whatsoever.
Smoke

It lights very easily, burns quickly, and stays lit. Because of the speed at which it burns, you need to tamp much more frequently. I've seen some reviewers say that it tastes like cigars. I've been smoking cigars on and off for over 20 years and it doesn't taste like any cigar I've ever smoked. For me, the primary taste was hazelnuts, with a faint taste of cocoa in the background. It tasted like I imagine a Ferrero Rocher candy would taste if it had no sugar in it. The hazelnut taste persisted throughout the entire smoke but about halfway through, the faint cocoa disappeared and was replaced by a pretty substantial earthiness. It was unique and pleasant. Solid medium nic hit.
Thoughts

This was very different from any other pipe tobacco I've smoked and quite enjoyable. Not something I'd smoke all day, but I imagine it would be fantastic in the morning with a cup of coffee. It'll definitely be part of my rotation.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
You can use a spray atomizer hydrate. Open up the jars, remove the tobacco, spray lightly and then put your tobacco back in the jars. Try to keep the tobacco at a fairly low temperature - say 60 - 65 degrees or so and out of the sun. Also, don't use too much water in it or the moisture or it may "turn." The manufacturer recommends smoking it when it's a bit flexible (and therefore moistened, but not too moist).

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Would anyone be able to advise me on rehydrating this tobacco? I know it is meant to be basically dryer
By all means hydrate it. Vincent Manil does not add humectents to his tobacco nor does he have a tinning machine so he came up with a clever marketing ploy by saying his tobacco is meant to be smoked dry. There is not a tobacco in the world that should be smoked bone dry like his is.

youdancer

Lurker
Sep 19, 2016
I do send a little moist breath into the bowl before smoking.
Quite an odd tobacco this one. It handles strangely, tastes funky, and burns quickly, yet without fail, every time I smoke a bowl I find myself reaching for a second.

I find the aftertaste of this delicious - another reason why I'm so fond of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of my top three tobaccos, not really a blend, but complex to me, nuanced, subtle.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I didn't care for it myself so I have 2 if any one is interested in them. 1 bowl missing from 1 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.