PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The party line on Forums is to jar any opened tobacco. I have some great canning jars that do the

job, but if I am smoking something in rotation, and it seems to be smoking well, I'll sometimes skip

that formality. (Pause here for a gasp from the purists.) But as the recipient of a fine, nearly full package

of Semois from a Forums member who didn't like it, and having a tall canning jar on hand, I almost

immediately jarred it, still wrapped in its paper package. I must say, when it arrived, it had a rich burley

scent with a little barnyard lingering in there too. But now, when I pop the lid on the jar, it smells like

cake! Oooh-la-la. It only gets better, and the pocket of air around it lets it improve. So don't be deceived

by the dryness of this leaf and decide to keep it just wrapped in paper or a baggie. Go for the jar with this

one. It unfolds and turns a delicious leaf into a euphoric one. And the lovely aroma comes through in the

smoke. For those less acquainted, Semois is a burley variant from Belgium. If you like burley, you may love it.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Cake, eh? Now that's intriguing. I have to admit I put semois in my cart just about every time but I always back down. I just had a bunch of new tins come in and will have to wait till the next go 'round. It seems like a very polarizing weed. Folks love it or hate it. Very curious about this one.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Hmm. I had put mine in a jar after a few smokes and forgot about it. Must be time to revisit!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I too noticed a cake scent in my jar of Semois that was not present prior to jarring. It is a wonderful aroma.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Semois is polarizing; some love it and others are made physically ill by it. Burley in general affects people

differently. Some find it has little or no taste, though they may value it for burning and blending characteristics.

Some simply find burley an unpleasant taste. Others mostly like it. I have always enjoyed the plain, non-aromatic

burley blends, and it was a whole new day when I discovered C&D non-aromatic burley blends. But Semois was

a whole new dimension, a one-leaf burley variant that, for me, tastes like a complex blend. There is really a lot

going on with Semois.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I'm a Vincent Manille Semois lover myself. How old was the package that smelled like cake MSO?

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Well- I just opened a jar that I sealed about 8 months ago. It did not smell like cake. Where can I buy some cake essence to add to my Semois?

Status
Not open for further replies.