PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
Just received an email. Semois should be here by 2/14. How many of you ordered some?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I was lucky enough to score a gift of four different varieties from Brianf upon his return from France.

None of them was Manil's product, but I was pretty underwhelmed with the overall taste. It was in the herbal

realm of flavor, along with some very subtle flowery touches; but it was really hearty stuff, and I can understand

why the French might favor pipes with smaller bowl capacities. To make an oversimplification, they are more like

5 Brothers or D&R's Picayune than any of the boutique blends we discuss here in the forums.
I'm going to wait until Summer arrives so I can try it under warm weather conditions. For me, a lot of tobaccos

perform differently according to the seasons.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the info, dawg. I'm glad I posted the names and you were able to identify them.

You are, in fact, spot-on with your explanation, because the package(s) do indeed say "tabac brun" --

but I had no way of knowing what that meant. Thanks for piping up! :clap:

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I ordered some. I'm very excited to give it a try, but i'll probably just stare at it a few months. I really have a difficult time smoking something that I know can't be readily replaced. Speaking of; is this going to be a pre-order situation for the forseeable future?

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
I have some on the way as well. Unfortunately, I already have six or seven blends open, so I will probably jar it up and come back to it at a later date.
-Swilly

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Now it really is in the mail. Should be on our doorsteps early in the week. It will be interesting to see the reaction to it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had an opportunity to try some Semois on ISPD. A member of another forum brought a big jar that he just acquired. After one bowl, this isn't a blend I would seek out. It is a super-thin ribbon cut and very dry. As such, it burned fast. I didn't find any flavor at all, a very neutral blend - perhaps would a cigarette would tast like (I don't smoke cigarettes) or a very mild cigar. It was definitely not like any pipe tobacco I've tried to this point. Not unpleasant, just not appealing to my taste buds, which are no doubt ruined by a few years of latakia blends. I was glad for the opportunity to try it.
I did get a twitter message from The Pipe Guys that their order has arrived. I'm curious to hear other reviews.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
My order should be here Monday or Tuesday at the latest, so I'll be eager to try it out. I'm not going to set it on the back shelf and wait – this (At least the first bowl,) is going into the pipe right away.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Al, you are pretty close with the really mild cigar comparison. It is definitely like no other pipe tobacco and burns fast like a cigarette. I re-hydrated what I have left to slow the burn down if you wish to give it a second chance at a what would be to you a normal burn rate. (although I don't think you would change your opinion on it)

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Ordered mine the moment the Pipe Guys started taking orders. THis has been quite nerve racking, waiting for my Precious to arrive....

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I received mine in the mail yesterday. After reading some of the comments here I think I will re-hydrate it first before I set fire to it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Get mine by mid-week. The only other exotic I've smoked was Tambolaka, which although I gave it a good go, in the end was disappointing because of lack of flavor.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
As a current cig smoker, trying to toss the habit and keep with pipes only, what I read here interests me a lot. Is there another type of tobacco that would be similar to this one? Fast burning and mild?

Status
Not open for further replies.