PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
As I have heard that it will be soon distributed in USA and being Belgian myself, I felt obliged to talk a bit about Semois, the almost legendary tobacco from produced in my country.
I will only shortly describe Vincent Manil's production, but there are other ones in the same region, all giving the same quality.
So this is the shop of Vincent Manil :
which is also a musuem.
You can buy pipes and accessories and always will be welcome there because this man works with passion.

So this is the Semois, natural one, said pipe cut, but in fact this is very thin cut, very dry and you do not need to humidificate(?) it, is can be smoked dry. It is very easy to smoke, you won't have to lighten it twice. It offers an earthy taste, this sensation from the deep forest, peat and tourbe, it can seem to be very brute but it offers actually a very complex feeling & aromas. At the end of the bowl, it gains in strenght and be sure, you will have your lot of nicotine at the end :)
One other particularity of Vincent's store is the 'bouchon'

that you screw on your pipe

With this you have 2 hours of intense pleasure ! :lol:
Now regarding the different productions, the most distributed is 'La brumeuse' but there are others from Vincent :

-Réserve du Patron

-Vallée du mont d'or

-Cordemoy

-Vieux Bohan

-Langue de chien
Each of them offers its particularity but I recommend trying The 'Brumeuse' to begin, I guess it the best.
I hope that you will have the chance to taste all these soon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a cigar for your pipe to smoke, or so it appears. That is magnificent stone work on the museum shop,

and a great space inside. Thank you for this post.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
"Les- I'm ready to man-up. Bring them on and we'll enjoy them. I like kick butt blends."

I will second that my friend. :puffy:
Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I think most of you are going to be disappointed in this tobacco. It is a good tobacco, with a different profile, but that is about it. If you are expecting an earth shattering new blend you will not be happy because it is not. Treat it like any other new blend from whomever and you might end up with another tobacco in your rotation.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I think most of you are going to be disappointed in this tobacco. It is a good tobacco, with a different profile, but that is about it. If you are expecting an earth shattering new blend you will not be happy because it is not. Treat it like any other new blend from whomever and you might end up with another tobacco in your rotation.
Couldn't have put it any better.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
That buchoun looks inviting as all get out. Want want want. I already cut my cigars and screw them into my pipe. I declare that I AM ready.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm not looking for a life changing experience but just something put of the ordinary. A friend asked me if Pebble Beach was the best course I ever played and I told him, " No, but you have to play it once."

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
The difference here is that you have a completely natural blend, with, to my opinion, a real complexity from deep forest, mushrooms, and still evoluting throughout the smoking process, that keeps you curious & attentive.

I would gladly send some samples if shipping costs were not that high but with the approaching release, the best is that you make your own opinion.
In France & Belgium, the Semois has widely convinced a lot of brown tobacco smokers because it is really worth its price.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
That stuff sure is pricey! (~$8/oz.) Looks fun though, I'd love to try it.
Think anyone will have this at the Raleigh or Richmond pipe shows?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I ordered Semois from the Pipe Guys and would probably have it by now were not for some bureaucratic snafu that plucked Mr. Manil's off a boat? last week. At any rate, it's now supposed to be in my hands between 2/5 or 2/10. I can't wait as the tobacco is supposed to be different, delicious and very complex!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
After a six week wait from the day of my order, I finally got this vaunted tobacco, and it is everything I'd heard and wanted it to be. Can UK pipe smokers get it? If so, do so, without delay! It and GL Pease Gaslight and the Imperial version of 3Nuns now hold the top three positions of the best of the best tobaccos I've ever smoked. There is a thread on BoB dedicated to these members reactions, and they would appear to either love it or just let it be. I'm very glad I am in the former category.
It smokes more or less exactly like it has been described by other lovers: extremely earthy with a significant barnyard nose, floral and spicy, these flavor notes emerging but changing by the next puff.
Expect a fuller review later. This tobacco is well-worth the analysis and the writing time!

Status
Not open for further replies.