PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I have an old pocket watch that I was thinking about selling on ebay. What are the do's and dont's about opening up the overseas market? I have always just sold in the USA.
Thanks!

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
1) Check buyers feedback - can not stress the importance of that.

2) Insist on mailing the package with real time tracking, signature confirmation and full insurance

3) DO NOT!!! DO NOT!!! send it anywhere besides PayPal verified address

4) DO NOT!!! DO NOT!!! Trust buyer if he asks to undervalue the cost on the insurance form or anything that might cause you to loose the watch and the money.

5) Remember, it is does not matter what buyer will promise in emails or EBay messages - PayPal does not care about promises.

6) All of the above may be negated if buyer agrees to pay through PayPal " family and friends gift option" but it will never happen

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the watch has any intrinsic value, if you are selling it as anything more than an old time curiosity, I'd have it appraised. Prices on even name brand gold watches from the late 19th Century can be amazingly low-ball in value, such that you'll do better to keep the watch as a family item.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Don't. Not worth it. The only way you're covered by ebay is with a shipping option that provides tracking and proof of delivery. Pretty expensive and even then they can still file the "not as described" claim etc.
Just me but, I would never ship overseas on an ebay transaction. The risks are not worth it.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
That is what I was afraid of. I have never done it but I see pipestud and some others seem to pull it off. Maybe they just accept a loss if the get a did not receive or not as described. I also read that the Global Shipping program is ridiculously expensive too but I guess that is an option if they don't mind paying through the nose. It is my understanding that the Global program protects you as a seller from those two scams.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Hello,

our national postal service here in New Zealand has an international service, so when I have purchased items from ebay I have a personal American address to give, which is a warehouse that forwards my package to me in New Zealand for a cost (multiple packages can be held and sent at a discount). So you may well be selling internationally without even realising it!
Isaac

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've always enable the feature that lets you sell overseas thru a 2nd party shipper. Ebay does all the work. You ship at your US shipping cost to a business in located at a US airport (Indiana?) and then they ship it to the country of choice. You get paid right away, just as it if were shipping to the US. They provide tracking to the destination. I've done 4-5 expensive pipes this way with zero issues ($200 plus).

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
That is what I was afraid of. I have never done it but I see pipestud and some others seem to pull it off. Maybe they just accept a loss if the get a did not receive or not as described. - Peteguy
I only offer international shipping on very high dollar items on eBay and my private website. History dictates that individuals who purchase $300 or more items and have the funds to pay for the items are straight shooters. On high dollar private website sales, the buyer simply agrees to accept the loss if the package is lost or damaged during shipment. I keep those emails on file and only once in 9 years did I have to send such an email to PayPal for verification and they ruled in my favor. Be sure you call PayPal personally to have them send you their own email stating that such a policy is acceptable to them so that you will also have their confirmation email on file. It's a bit of a pain to set up, but once done its done. eBay is a different animal and I'd never offer international shipping on items worth less than $300.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Post a picture of it here some one might save you the trouble if allowed. Don't put it up for sale on here just show it. pm's will take care of the rest.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've sold pipes internationally on eBay for about 5 years. I have dealt a number of times with 2nd party shippers too. That's a nice option that eliminates any worry on my part.

I haven't kept track, but I'd guess I've sent 30-50 pipes to other countries directly. I have a disclaimer in my descriptions that, excepting Canada, only Priority Express has a tracking option. I leave it up to the buyer. They always choose the lowest price option. I send them the US Customs number as proof of mailing.

Occasionally a person won't understand the disclaimer and ask for tracking info. I try and be patient and explain it to them. But those instances make me a bit nervous.

On the good side though, I have never lost a package. Or at least I've never had a claim filed against me. I've mailed pipes to Russia, China, Japan, Hungary, the UK, Brazil and others I'm probably forgetting. Probably more to China than anywhere else.

If your watch is really valuable, I'd select only the Express Priority with insurance option so it can be tracked. That may discourage some buyers as it would be expensive. But it would definitely be better for your piece of mind. An overseas collector with deep pockets won't care.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Hello,

our national postal service here in New Zealand has an international service, so when I have purchased items from ebay I have a personal American address to give, which is a warehouse that forwards my package to me in New Zealand for a cost (multiple packages can be held and sent at a discount). So you may well be selling internationally without even realising it!
Isaac
There's still an issue with that. In this arrangement, the buyer would have an overseas paypal account, but a US shipping address. I don't believe that qualifies as a "verified address" as far as paypal is concerned, so the seller would be out of luck if the buyer said they didn't receive it, even though it's a US address.

Status
Not open for further replies.