PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I realize this is probably a long shot, but I'm interested in selling off a rather large portion of my cellared tins. (Why? Money.)
I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a single buyer who would be interested in acquiring 400-500 tins. I don't have anything that's overly rare. But I do have a number of tins with 10-15 years of age on them; all others have been cellared for at least 5 years. Many are 2oz/50g tins, but there are also 100g tins and larger.
Again, I realize that such a buyer will be hard to find, especially since I would need to get at least $5,000 for the lot. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
To be clear, I am NOT interested in selling these tins in smaller groups.
Thanks!
Bob

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Contact Steve Fallon (aka pipestud) or Rich Gottlieb at 4noggins.com. Realistically, they are probably the only people who might be interested in a sale of such magnitude.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I believe the two you mentioned northern are consignment shops.
500 tins at $10 a pop you would almost need someone who wants them for there own and not a reseller. Unless of course there are aged tins that are worth more.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I just redid my math. If someone were taking all 500 tins, I would need $8,000, which works out to $16 a tin. That's way below what blends like Penzance are already getting on the secondary market... and there would be at least 20 tins of Penzance in this offering. And it's a real bargain when you understand that those 500 tins also include some aged 1/2 pounds and pound tins.
Also, these are primarily English blends, with some VAs/matured VAs, and a handful of Samuel Gawith blends like BCF, Rum Flake, etc.
And, yes, as I said, ALL tins have at least 5 years of age on them, with the oldest being from 1999.
Snowhill: I'll certainly have a list available for anyone who is seriously considering this. There's no point otherwise, though, since I am not willing to do a series of individual sales.
Bob

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Bob,
I'd be interested in looking over what you have in your cellar. If able PM me a list.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Beezer, I'll try to get something to you early next week. Currently it's an Excel spreadsheet that has lots of additional info on it. . . and, frankly, I just decided to do this this afternoon!
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Gentlemen:
I've created a PDF of the blends I'd like to sell off. It represents about 57 different blends, totaling 434 tins. Blends that may be of particular interest include: a 1999 tin of Esoterica's And So to Bed, a 2005 tin of McClelland's Anniversary, two 1999 tins of Dunhill Durbar, 12 2007 tins of GLPease Embarcadero, 15 tins of 2007 Full Virginia Flake, 5 tins of what I believe to be Murray-era London Mixture (Dunhill), 10 2007 tins of Butera Pelican, 21 tins of Penzance (from 2005-2007), and 19 tins of GLPease Westminster from 2007/2009 (including a 1lb tin and 3 8oz tins).
If you would like the complete PDF -- and, please, only those who are seriously interested in making an offer on the entire lot -- PM me your actual email address; I can't post a PDF to your PM address here.
Thanks, guys!
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
One amendment: The London Mixture is NOT Murray-era but "transitional," most likely featuring Orlik's early run of LM. They used the painted tops left over from Murray, but the bottom labeling confirms that they were indeed Orlik-produced.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Something tells me that you guys will be getting a chance to buy some of that good stuff very soon... if you look in the right places, of course. :wink:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
BTW, someone has asked why I'm getting rid of my cellar. Rest assured, I'm not. Pipestud bought just over 400 tins. . . but I still have about 400 left. Just needed the money more than the tins at this point.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Steve made me an offer the day after I posted the first message here (after he reviewed my list of tins).

Status
Not open for further replies.