Selling Estates

(17 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by sparrowhawk
  • Latest reply from tschiraldi
  1. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When selling a hard-to-find, much in demand estate, is it appropriate to sell such a pipe for over the original retail?

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

If it is much in demand, then that decides the question. No moral issues with that, IMO.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. addamsruspipe

addamsruspipe

Login to Send PM

As long as the buyer knows what they are buying and they make the choice to pay whatever the amount is. No issues that I can see.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Willing buyer, willing seller, each being in possession of all material facts and neither being under a compulsion to buy or sell = fair market value. Emphasis on fair.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What also matters is when was it original?

If the pipe is 10 years old from a hot maker then yes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's definitely okay. As long as it's an honest deal and any alterations are detailed.

Just because something is for sale for $Xxx, doesn't mean it will sell for $Xxx

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had also planned to have the pipe refurbished (fresh stain, wax buff, and inform the buyer of these refurbishment). By the time I'm finished, I may not want to let it go!

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

murica

Login to Send PM

Things are worth what people pay. Get what you can from it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's certainly not a problem at classic car auctions or furniture auctions. Inflation has changed things. The market continually re-evaluates the prices on everything. Saavy customers will exercise reason, and if you run into a wild crazy free-spending guy, who knows in detail what you're selling, that's his decision. What are you going to tell him he can't have it because he's offering to pay too much? That's somewhat insulting. Besides which, he may know something you don't.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sure! Imagine it's a Dunhill bought in 1950 for $40 but similar pipes now trade for $300.... Even if bought yesterday if the market says it's worth more, it's worth more.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

No, I'll buy it for half of what you paid for it originally, since it is now used. PayPal is good...

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Even after having smoked estate pipes for awhile, anytime I see the word, I immediately think of Robin's Nest

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. With collectible estates, rarity is only part of the equation. Condition is the other part. As long as you are honest and accurate about what you are selling, there's no ethical issue. The market will determine what you get.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

jabo

Login to Send PM

I've picked up quite a few estates. I don't really care what the seller gave for it, it's what I'm willing to put it in my collection. And, yes I do comparative shopping when purchasing.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

That's what makes vintage anything world go around! (pipes, cars, motorcycles, guitars, you name it)

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think too many of us would be here on the forum if estate pipes only sold for original retail or less. We'd be buried in cheap pipes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had also planned to have the pipe refurbished (fresh stain, wax buff, and inform the buyer of these refurbishment). By the time I'm finished, I may not want to let it go!

If you re-stain it, it might de-value the pipe. If I am buying an old Charatan Distinction, I'd rather have the original stain, even if worn, then something not "Charatan". I'm all for cleaning and buffing, but replacement stems and re-stains are a deal killer for me.
    Otherwise, absolutely fine! If what came before is better than what is made today, it certainly becomes more valuable. Sell away! BTW - whatcha' got???

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cigrmaster, ben88, renfield, szconrad, paulfg, upnorth1, canadianpuffer, pipesmoker30, hoosierpipeguy