PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
OK. So it's my wife's birthday. And in a fit of madness I have agreed to return to her my "Mancave" so she can once again have a guestroom...
I'm going to get a Summerhouse/Shed thing to put at the bottom of the garden and convert it into my new lair & my question is this...
With Winter approaching, will I be OK to keep my pipes and baccy in it, what with the freezing night temperatures etc? I am planning on running electric to it, but it will only be heated when I'm sitting in it (which, admittedly will be MOST of the time ;))

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
this is why i love living in the mid west and can have a finished basement.
my guess would be no though because your pipes and baccy will have a minute amount of moisture and i would be afraid it could freeze, possibly causing your pipes to break and your baccy to freeze.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
My biggest worry would be condensation on your pipes. I would think your tobacco would be OK, but the briar might develop mold from the cool temps causing condensation on them.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Aren't you in the UK, Kris? If so, I'd be less concerned about the effects of the cold than I would the roving bands of soccer thugs that we in the US hear are infesting your fine country.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I can handle the hooligans!
Don't know if I can handle the weather effing with my smokes!

:evil:

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
no good to subject your pipes to extreme temperature swings. Your stems will all be loose in a months time.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
So, general consensus is keep pipes in house? Baccy is ok in shed?
(ohin, it's really nice to see you posting again...)

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Kris you could get a pet heat pad for your baccy and pipes.

Leave it plugged in and it will keep the chill off them if you don't fancy mooching about every time you want a smoke
Strange idea... i'm a strange guy :)

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
The real question is what were you thinking? How often do you use it vs. how often do you have guests? My wife would never even consider taking away the man cave.

Aug 1, 2012
I would not leave them outside. Wood of any kind does not like extreme temperatures or temperature shifts. Temp also affects relative humidity which will play havoc with your pipes.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
I would be concerned with the temperature variations, and possible cracking of your beloved pipes due to smoking if smoked from colder temps, keep them in the house, baccy in the new mancave..

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Sounds like somebody needs to call a contractor for that new addition you have been thinking about . As for the quest room ,that is why God invented Best Western . Do you want to rest your pipes or your relatives . Yeah ,thats what I thought . 8)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Kris a simple if you have it 100 Watt bulb you can make a small tent over pipes and tobbaco, over here in the South we do that in our water pump sheds to keep them from freezing, you might be surprised how much heat it puts out. The old cajun

Aug 14, 2012
I agree with Shantiques. It's your house, but you are giving up your room for occasional guests? Why?

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
A detached man cave sounds pretty sweet to me. She is happy with her girls room and can chill out in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.