PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In pipe purchases, my inclination is to keep it simple. I have bought various types of pipes with various features, but I tend toward those with fewer patented or innovative features. I have about six Petes but no System pipes. I have a number of Sav's, but equip them with adaptors so I don't use filters, and same with Dr. Grabows. I've avoided 9 mm filter pipes, Brigham with there maple rock inserts, and have pulled all stingers that are removable, leaving me with one Kaywoodie Drinklesss with the screw-on stem and stinger. I have fitted all but one MM cob with Forever stems that do not fit filters. I feel like I've had better luck with pipes that have simplicity of design. They are easier to clean and straightforward to smoke. It's not a compulsion. If I found a handsome System Pete or a snappy Brigham at a flea market or yard sale, I'd likely buy it if the price was right. But as a guiding principle, I like the basics a lot. When I've been able to buy pipes, like Savs and Rossi, without filters, I've often done that. How about you? Do you have your favorite featured embellishments or do you like to keep things basic?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's always a selling point for me if a pipe is designed without a filter, and an extra-extra plus if the chamber is uncoated, although that it is not a deal-breaker if it is.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
My pipes are split between Virginia based flake pipes and pipes for latakia based tobaccos within these two areas I select pipes when I can afford them based on something I feel is missing maybe a larger bent shape or a sandblast, then I drift towards a maker, sounds complicated but I really only need to refine my collection.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I like a nice open draw as well, but I don't enjoy sucking tobacco particles or ash into my mouth either =)
There are times after a few smokes when I look at the condenser/stinger on my Kaywoodies I'm glad that at least that much tar and gunk didn't get past the stem. Same when I clean out the well of my system Petersons. So I think I'm a lot more conflicted that you are! I definitely prefer stingers and wells to paper or balsa filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.