PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I don't smoke english blends much, maybe a few times a month. I do enjoy buying them.
I'm nearing the end of my tin of Key Largo. The following english blends are in my cellar. Some I have smoked before, some I haven't. Which one should I open next? Why?
Dunhill Nightcap

Esoterica Margate

Fribourg & Treyer 34th Mixture

Fribourg & Treyer Waterloo #2

Fribourg & Treyer Wingate

McClelland Latakia Flake

Rattray's Red Raparee

Balkan Sasieni

C&D Burley Flake #4

Presbyterian Mixture

GL Pease Quiet Nights

GL Pease Sextant

Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader
Note that if it has Latakia in it, I consider it english, so my definition is bigger than some. I also have two frogs which are too light for me so I will probably never smoke.
McClelland Frog Morton on the Bayou

McClelland Frog Morton Across the Pond

stanr-1113-600x448.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Some very good candidates there. Presbyterian Mixture is a nice blend. Not lights out but a standard for the breed. It's always highly rated and I've had it numerous times. If you're looking for lat bombs then C&D Pirate Kake will give you a blast. Of course, the standard by which all are judged is Dunhill My Mixture 965.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I was a bit dissappointed by my Red Rapparee I felt it was a bit too light. I've only smoked two bowls of it, but as of right now I'm underwhelmed by it. I'm going to give it a few more goes before I mix it with some latakia.
Presbyterian is on my short list. Last year was Year of the VaPer, this year is Year of the Light Englishes.
Let us know what you pick and your thoughts please.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I heard that if you light up a bowl of Presbyterian Mixture, then one of those nuns from the ad appears and spanks you with a ruler
All the more reason to smoke it. Ooohga!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks guys, I went with the Presbyterian mixture. This is a good smoke. Nice orientals. A nice deep bass to it. This blend has got some teeth.

pres-ii-600x448.jpg

pres-i-600x448.jpg

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Since I have only smoked five of the tobaccos on your list I would go with Balkan Sasieni or Squadron Leader. Both blends Virginias, orientals and enough latakia to made both blends provocative.

rudybaker

Lurker
Dec 4, 2013
Nightcap definitely. If you are wanting to feed your TAD monkey, try JJ Fox Banker's or Solani or if you want a big dose of latakia C&D's Davinci

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I've been working my way through a tin of Sextant for a long while now. I am not much of a fan of it at all. That being said, I do not smoke many Englishes.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
FWIW, I am not an English connoisseur, but if you're like me and on a strict budget, Newminster's English Luxus No. 17 is pretty good and very affordable in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.