PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Wife and I took Friday off and spent the day together, we always like to hit up antique shops/etc. and ended up at the Scott Antique Mart in Atlanta. Two years ago I scored a nice 1926 Dunhill Shell for $10, so I know good things are still out there.

She has gotten good at spotting pipes and happened upon this figural Sina briar pipe in nearly unsmoked condition. It is very clean.

I continued the search and found this 4 digit Drinkless Kaywoodie 7730 with 4 hole/large ball/drinkless stinger...Late 30's pipe after some research. What do you guys think? About right?
:mrgreen:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Awesome finds. That figural looks a bit like Hemingway! (I can't quite place that hat?)

The 7730 will also restore beautifully. Good fortune and a good eye!

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Been trying to get an old Kaywoodie 30 on ebay for a long time. It's a popular shape. Kind of a full bent author. I haven't been able to get one at a decent price. Yours looks like it will be ready to go after little more than cleaning. Early 30s Drinkless. Yeah, it's nice. Really nice!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Al and xrundog I always keep a poker face when buying a pipe like this. Inside I'm jumping up and down. Paid $10 for it.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
voorhees, Those are excellent finds. A 1930s Kaywoodie 30 in that condition for $10 is a steal. If you keep finding deals like these, you are going to have to work harder on stifling your "tells".

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Ready and smokes very well. I was concerned with how high the draft hole was drilled, but someone enjoyed this pipe as is so I decided to not build up the bottom of the bowl. It also is a bit of a system pipe as the stinger drops into a well and the draft hole goes in above it.

I did a sympathetic restoration, I like character to remain on a pipe this old.

The Sina was very clean, I soaked the stem in Oxyclean and polished it up. Passed several alcohol soaked cleaners through it and gave the outside a coat of olive oil. Talk about night and day.
I need to dust!!

Status
Not open for further replies.