Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » Meerschaum Pipes

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Seeking this pipe from "Joe versus The Volcano"

(10 posts)
  1. fathead

fathead

Login to Send PM

In the 1990 film starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, Lloyd Bridges portrayed an industrialist named Graynamore. In a scene in the apartment of Joe, portrayed by a very young Tom Hanks, we pulls a Meerschaum pipe from his jacket pocket in the image of a woman, a sailing ship's figurehead. I am seriously looking for such a pipe!

This rather lengthy link goes to the only picture I can find of a screen cap of Lloyd and the pipe:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lloyd+bridges+joe+vs+the+volcano&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb8_6o5aHeAhVM61MKHZiIBhIQ_AUIDigB&biw=1525&bih=722#imgrc=kfKBYvYb1OIzaM:

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can contact one of those Turkish Meerschaum companies, and they will carve it for you. They don't really run all of those meer designs as large scale production runs, so you may not find that exact pipe new.

What about that pipe attracts you? Does it have to be exact? If you just enjoy "the hunt" you can scan through ebay.

Michael
    Posted 7 months ago #
  3. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have seen a few like it. Best of luck on the hunt. I find that is sometimes the best part, as the pipe is not as rewarding as finding it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  4. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

They're not exactly rare and show up fairly consistently on eBay. It's easy enough to do a meerschaum search.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmeerschaum+-+pipes.TRS0&_nkw=meerschaum+-+pipes&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=-+pipes

I recommend looking for an older pipe as the carving on the newer stuff I've seen is pretty awful.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 7 months ago #
  5. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

Google "figurehead meerschaum" and some pop right up.

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Search eBay:
    meerschaum - pipe nude naked

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 7 months ago #
  7. jonasclark

jonasclark

Login to Send PM

This was a common Turkish carving. Yes, search on eBay for: vintage ___ meerschaum. Three words. In that space, try: lady, woman, mermaid, figurehead. You might throw in: nude, naked. You'll find them. They're often not very well-carved, with nightmarish or cartoonish faces and breasts which look like Madonna's infamous conical bra. But they're out there, and sooner or later you'll find the right one for you.

Posted 6 months ago #
  8. jonasclark

jonasclark

Login to Send PM

A few that are up now, item numbers:

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Neal
    Posted 6 months ago #
  10. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   alaskanpiper, dcon, gorillafly, mso489, ashdigger, brooklynpiper, clickklick, cosmicfolklore, cigrmaster, mikefu, autumnfog, didimauw, morgansteele, ron123