Tags:  No tags yet. 

Seeking Suggestions - Best Pipe For A Quick Smoke

(28 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by pipebeast
  • Latest reply from wlrountree
  1. pipebeast

pipebeast

Login to Send PM

As the title suggests I'm looking for some suggestions. I don't have time to sit for long periods for a smoke and am often on the go. I would say most of my smokes are in the 15-20 minute range. I have a couple of pipes with what I would call regular sized bowls since I don't know the exact dimensions. I've been in the habit of just packing less in the bowl so that I don't waste my tobacco. Does anyone have any suggestions on a pipe that would be well suited for quick smokes like these?

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Missouri Meerschaum Huck Finn.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. aimlesswanderer

aimlesswanderer

Login to Send PM

For my shorter smokes I tend to use a MM Mizzou or a clay. I do have a couple of the Mini Legends too, but prefer a longer pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

pipebeast, you have a number of options. There is a long, long list of good small pipes, some designed as pocket pipes, and many others in various shapes, price levels, materials, and finishes. You have the option of using a medium size (Group 4) or larger and simply smoking in increments. Just be careful to store the pipe in a safe, dry place, where it won't start a fire -- in an ashtray or crockery bowl, etc. Nearly all the major brands of pipes offer smaller bowl pipes. Iwan Ries offers a good selection of solid French Ewa pipes at excellent prices, churchwardens and others, with small bowls. Peterson has its Belgium rustique and smooth pipe in a Group 1. MM cobs has the Huck Finn and Old Dominion (with reed stems) has the Chesapeake Bay. This merely scratches the surface. I would not suggest the vest pocket pipes with the folding swivel stems, because many small pipes are as portable without this gimmick, but some folks really like them. So you have a world of options. Small pipes are great for sampling tobacco at pipe shows or pipe shops, for judicious sampling of extra strong tobaccos, as well as for quick smokes. Also remember, flake/plug/coin/or rope will give you a significantly longer smoke in a small bowl. You can make this work in any size pipe. Incremental smoking is pleasant because you don't have to pack the pipe for every smoke. Just don't use very moist tobacco, and be sure to clean the pipe well when you finally do empty the bowl.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The one nearest to your hand.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on the Huck Finn

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 MM Mizzou and Hck Fin, or maby a Mr Brog Briar they have prety small bowls and mine are good smokers

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any pipe whatsoever. Fill to desired length of smoke, or fill full and take the rest the next day.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Try searching for a small diameter, and/or shallow depth pipe using SmokingPipes.com's Pipe Locator.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Peterson Calabash is great for short smokes

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got a little Ropp Normandie that works well for me in that regard. Portable too.

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The one you just filled. You can let it go out any time! But if you actually plan in advance, I would have to go with a cob.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

14. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use a number of pipes for quick smokes...

My favorite is the Mr. Brog "motor." it's $17 plus shipping on eBay. Pear Wood. I love these pipes. I smoke them all the time. You can get a briar version for $35.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUTSTANDING-Mr-Brog-original-smoking-pipe-nr-56-RED-034-MOTOR-034-GREAT-GIFT-/151565035284

I also have more expensive ones... tsgue, il duca.

Again, cobs are a great bang for the buck...

If you want to be ultra stylish, rx2man here on the forums makes these great bamboo squat bulldog/Rhodesians @$145

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. pipebeast

pipebeast

Login to Send PM

For the price - picking up a Huck Finn is almost a no-brainer. Thanks guys.

LastTango I'm interested in which Tsuge model you have. I've been looking at Tsuge pipes for a while.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. colorduke

colorduke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dr Grabow Duke,MM Pony and a Yello Bole pug.

I will give up my pipe when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dunhill Crosby #2

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. downinit

downinit

Login to Send PM

I like my Big Ben Bora pipe for a shorter smoke.

[No man has the] right to mislead others, who have less access to history, and less leisure to study it. . . . Thus substituting falsehood and deception for truthful evidence and fair argument.
    — Abraham Lincoln, Cooper Union Address, 1860
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This always comes up, and I am always surprised that more folks don't just suggest that he pack less in a regular bowl. Me, I just pack a regular bowl, smoke it for 15 minutes (if that's all the time I have), put the pipe in my pocket, and smoke the rest latter.
    I smoke my tiniest pipes for about as long as my largest bowls, and my pipes range from .5" diameter to 1,25" diameter, and I have shallow pipes and chimneys.

I had a thread before about how the size of the bowl is less important than the depth. Shallow but narrow bowls can smoke just as long as a regular bowl for me. And, the shortest I find is a wide, yet shallow bowl... but all of that said, if you smoke a tiny bowl faster, it is just like smoking a larger bowl... less taste, less nicotine, hot steamy tongue burn, bite, and no relaxation from the process.
    This is why cigarettes came about. Pipe guys would get too busy, and roll a cig from their tobaccos to get a quick fix.
    Nah, I'd just rather smoke a regular pipe and just span out the duration of the smoke with the delayed gratification that comes from relighting a cold bowl.
    YMMV

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another pipe I like for quick smokes is a Falcon with a Bantam Bowl.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

I would go for a Dr Plumb just right for a short smoke.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What cosmic says, more eloquently than my post above.

I wouldn't buy a pipe just to have a smaller bowl. But if you really liked it (whatever it might be), for other reasons, go for it.

I keep a leather or plastic pipe bag in the car so I can stick a burning pipe into it, and the lack of oxygen will make it go out all the quicker. Then it's quite ready for a quick fire up at the next stop. I smoke in my car when alone, but not with wife, nor in her car.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

Most of my pipes are 11/16" x 1.25" on the bowls. That lasts about an hour more or less depending on how dry it is and how it's cut. I always load them exactly the same and smoke as much of it as I have time for...

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A neat trick... when I am about to walk into a store, or put my pipe out for any reason, I just put my hand or fingers over the bowl creating a seal and draw in on the stem, causing a vacuum in the bowl for a few seconds. This quickly extinguishes the fire in the pipe, leaving a nice clean tobacco bowl to relight and carry on after my interruption. I usually tuck an extinguished pipe in my shirt pocket.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. aimlesswanderer

aimlesswanderer

Login to Send PM

I like the extinguishing trick!

I regularly smoke my pipes in instalments, and just set my pipes aside when I've reached a certain level of contentment (even with small bowled pipes). However, I have often revisited pipes to discover they've kept smouldering after I've set them down, and there's not been a lot to come back to. I'll certainly have to give the oxygen starvation trick a try.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, good so see that- I tried it a while ago when Michael posted it months ago, and promptly forgot about it! Will try to incorporate it into my bag of hacks, though the pouch works fine, and keeps ash out of my pocket. The two together should be unassailable!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A #1 Dunhill.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. wlrountree

wlrountree

Login to Send PM

I have a Kaywoodie campus pipe that was actually produced and marketed for short smokes between classes. I don't love it, as I rarely crave short smokes, and, because of this, I have never built up any sort of cake to help out the smoke. It also doesn't have a screw in stinger, but rather a pointed stinger common in many pipes today. I've also found that I am not a fan of relights. I don't know why, but here recently, I have found that it tastes very ashy to me to relight a pipe after it has be extinguished for any length of time. Therefore, I guess I just waste tobacco, as every time I fill a pipe, unless I am trying to break one in, I fill it up and smoke until I stop enjoying it. Sorry, as I know this doesn't really help, but these are my experiences.

You can't learn to ride a horse by watching it run around in a pen
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, jiminks, elbert, milehighpiper, pipestud, tuold, sholto, jaytex969, philobeddoe, dcon, ashdigger, pitchfork, rodo, danimalia, jfred, gandalfspipe, crawdad, oldgeezersmoker, cshubhra, ormazd, cigrmaster