PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Recently I purchased from Pipestud's eBay store the Astleys billiard briar pipe shown in the image below. I know that Astleys did not manufacture pipes; Pipestud posited that this one might have been produced for them by Savinelli.
What I would like to know is over what period of time did Astleys operate, and was their shop at 109 Jermyn Street in London their only location? Any background information which you may provide about this venerable old tobacconist would be appreciated!
$_57.JPG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There is surprisingly little on the web about Astley's. I've only heard of UK manufacturers making Astley's pipes, never Savinelli (James Upshall, Dunhill, Bill Taylor, etc.)

Every time we have someone from pipe manufacturing come talk to our pipe club, they always suggest :::wink wink::: that Savinelli produces most of the Dunhills, and that there is no way that with as strict a guidelines as they have on no fills on their machine-made pipes, that the little ol' plant in England could possibly meet worldwide demand for the Dunnies.

It is quite possible that Savinelli made the Astleys. However, as a company it is still functioning as they sell some of the best Virginia blends. Whether there is still a pipe shop at 109, I have no idea.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I am pretty sure their shop has closed down. I was also under the impression that it was English pipe makers who made their pipes like ssjones mentioned. Not much help, I'm afraid.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I'm not sure if I should bring up this rather unsavory business again, but I think it's best to post a reminder.There seems to be compelling evidence that some Astley's pipes can have a fairly obscure pedigree. It looks as if the current holder of the Astley's trademark is doing his best to dilute its value.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/astley-pipes-re-stamped-estate-pipes-photos
I should add that I'm not saying that OPs Astley's is necessarily one of these reworked pipes, or that pipestud would be any part of this unpleasantness.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hi Hunter,
Astley’s had only, that I’m aware of, one store on Jermyn Street. It was a very small store (3 customers would have been a crowd). Paul said that the store had been in his family a long time but it’s professed origin date of 1862 may be suspect.
Paul Bentley owned and ran the Astley’s store, perhaps until it closed somewhere about 10 years ago. Paul liked to select his high end pipes. His less expensive lines were more of a standard private label situation.
As mentioned, Astley’s made no pipes. From the late 1970s through about 1990, James Upshall was his main supplier for high end pipes and later (I believe) it was Ashton. He may have purchased pipes from Parker/Hardcastle but I don’t believe that he purchased with any regularity Dunhill first quality pipes if at all.
Astley did buy Charatan private labels and I believe that’s what your pipe is. I’m unaware of Savinelli having made any pipes for Astley’s.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I was in London in the first week of january 1997.The shop had moved to the Arcade at that time.I was in there.

Thats all I know.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
See this thread, page 2, Jon Guss added the following comment:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/astley-pipes-re-stamped-estate-pipes-photos/page/2
The shop moved to the Piccadilly Arcade in the summer of 1994.

Status
Not open for further replies.