PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Yesterday to celebrate the start of 2016 I purchased from Ms. Carole Burns of Pipeworks & Wilke an estate briar apple pipe with flattened left- and right-hand sides, and stamped "L&P" (Leavitt & Peirce). I understand that this venerable old Cambridge, Massachusetts firm once manufactured their own pipes; however, I have been unable to find any information regarding their offerings despite checking the usual suspects (including pipedia.com, pipephil.com, and "Who Made That Pipe" by Wilczak and Colwell). Searching the pipesmagazine.com Website I did find a .pdf of the 1960 David P. Ehrlich Co. (they acquired L&P in 1956) catalog graciously provided by Woodsroad, but it did not specifically address L&P's pipes.
If any of my fellow pipers can provide information on L&P's pipes and the history of their manufacture I would appreciate it.
Happy New Year,
HunterTRW

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
There appears to be little by way of information out there but I did find a contact (no email). Might help

Karen Cecchini
Leavitt & Peirce Inc.

1316 Massachusetts Ave.

Cambridge , Massachusetts 02138

United States
Company Description: Leavitt & Peirce was founded in 1883 by Fred Leavitt and Waldo Peirce. Its main business was tobacco in all its forms. Our house blend, "Cake Box" got its name... more

Dec 24, 2012
I don't have an answer to your question, but I have quite a fondness for L&P. It was my B&M when I went to grad school in Cambridge, although I only smoked the odd cigar then, not pipes. The family and I were in Cambridge this summer and I visited L&P again. Nothing has changed. It still looks like it's right out of the 1920s. A very cool place and worth a visit if you ever get the chance.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
L&P is where I purchased the first pipe I ever paid money for and is where i learned to smoke a pipe properly, very nice place. I still have jar of one of their house orientals stashed somewhere in the basement, first English I really enjoyed. I don't have any helpful info on their pipes though.
Bob

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I can tell you they have a non-functional website...
http://leavitt-peirce.com/index.html

May 31, 2012
I can tell you they have a non-functional website...
laughing-smiley-pointing.gif
Even though I may be in violation of proper etiquette by defying a sacrosanct institution,

I still LOL'd!
Good one Dave!

:P

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
"I can tell you they have a non-functional website..."
I called Leavitt & Peirce (617.547.0576) today after discovering that fact myself, and the woman who answered explained that their Website was, "...under construction." She took my e-mail address and promised to send to me within an hour a copy of their pipe-tobacco blend list. As of this writing I am still awaiting its arrival.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I wasn't trying to be over critical or snarky, it would be great to see their full site! Hunter, glad to hear you called them!

May 31, 2012
No apologies necessary my good gentleman,

it was, perhaps, I, who was being snarky...
...and, anyways, openness and free sharing of information is a good thing in my book,

I just took it thru my own personal prism,

and did not intend to make you feel guilty for pointing out something worthy of pointing out.
You're one of the "good guys" Dave,

and that certainly is not in question!
Your contributions are countless,

your intentions pure.
An invaluable asset to this site!
(wish you posted more!)

:)
Jolly Smoggo!

:puffy:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
...it was, perhaps, I, who was being snarky...
Didn't take it that way in the least Troy, I have a pretty good sense of whom I'm talking to by this point. :puffy:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
This morning when I checked my e-mail what to my wondering eyes should appear but the promised Leavitt & Peirce pipe-tobacco blend list! Not "within the hour" as the woman stated, but delivered nonetheless.
For those who might be interested, here it is in its entirety:
NAME

Price Per

1oz / 8oz / Lb Description

AROMATIC

Black and Gold 3.95 / 30 / 57 Our most popular pipe tobacco. Mild and very aromatic with a sweet, bready vanilla flavor, with hints of caramel.

Black and Tan 3.95 / 30 / 57 A mixture of black cavendish and african virginias, with a natural flavor profile that tastes of sweet bread.

Black and White 3.95 / 30 / 57 Akin to the Black and Gold, mild and sweet, but more straightforward, with a dominant vanilla presence.

Black Cherry 3.95 / 30 / 57 A black cavendish base provides a backbone of vanilla, with a subtle and sweet cherry overtone.

Black Coffee 4.50 / 33 / 64 Subtle and pleasant, a mixture of golden and black cavendishes steamed with Brazillian coffee.

Black Ribbon 3.95 / 30 / 57 Straight black cavendish. Very mild, with a dominant vanilla flavor. Great for beginners and for mixing.

Cherry Cavendish 3.95 / 30 / 57 Sweet and mild, with a bright burst of maraschino cherry. Very aromatic.

Dark Honey 3.95 / 30 / 57 A medium bodied, semi-sweet black cavendish with a rich honey flavor and hints of caramel and molasses.

Frag. Matured Cake 5.95 / 45.25 / 85.75 A matured virginia with a mild flavor profile of natural tobacco and vanilla. Slow burn, excellent aroma.

Judge's Mixture 4.50 / 33 / 64 An L&P exclusive; Mild to medium and slightly sweet, with a black cavendish base lightly scented with mango.

Natural Cavendish 3.95 / 30 / 57 An exceptionally mild light cavendish, with a very subtle sweetness that comes from cognac curing.

Pistachio 3.95 / 30 / 57 A light and nutty blend of black cavendish and virginia, with a very mild flavor and excellent room note.

Pound Cake 3.95 / 30 / 57 Very light and pleasant, a mix of matured virginias with the flavor profile of a sugar cookie.

Twainberry 3.95 / 30 / 57 A black cavendish base provides a smooth vanilla taste, topped off by a subtle, sweet, mixed berry.

Whiskey Cavendish 3.95 / 30 / 57 A mild to medium light cavendish with a woody, natural flavor profile. Whiskey curing supplies an interesting spice.
NON-AROMATIC

D.P.E. 4.50 / 33 / 64 A mild English blend with an earthy, complex flavor. Notes of cocoa and wood, with a little spice of latakia.

Cake Box 4.50 / 33 / 64 An L&P classic mixture using both English and Aromatic tobaccos for a complex flavor, sweet and spicy.

Balkan 1 4.50 / 33 / 64 A full bodied English blend featuring a moderate amount of latakia and a woody, complex flavor profile.

Balkan 2 4.50 / 33 / 64 A very full-bodied English blend with plenty of latakia (more than Balkan 1). Spicy and satisfying.

Balkan 3 4.50 / 33 / 64 The lightest balkan, virginia and latakia mixed with a lightly sweet black cavendish.

Williamsburg Red 5.95 / 45.25 / 85.75 A pure Virginia with an exceptionally smooth, well-rounded flavor. Excellent alone or as a mixer.
PURE

Broken Flake 5.95 / 45.25 / 85.75 Warm, classic, and mild-medium bodied with notes of wood, smoke, and a subtle vanilla

Ehrlich Latakia 5.95 / 45.25 / 85.75 A very strong aged, smoked, turkish tobacco used for mixing in English blends.

L&P Cube Cut 3.95 / 30 / 57 A pure burley, with a mild-medium tobacco-centric body. Easy packing and slow burning, great for mixing.

L&P Curlies 4.95 / 37.50 / 71 Woody, dark and earthy, with a notable oak overtone.

L&P Navy Flake 4.95 / 37.50 / 71 Medium bodied and slightly aromatic, with strong notes of chocolate and bread.

L&P Twist 4.95 / 37.50 / 71 Complex, refreshing and tangy, with a notable spice. Like a maduro cigar with a mild filler.

Scottish Blend 4.95 / 37.50 / 71 A mellow Virginia / Burley / Cavendish mix with light added flavoring, complex earthy flavors.

Mocha Black 5.50 / 41.75 / 79.25 A mild, slightly sweet Virginia with a slow burn and absolutely no bite. Mostly used for mixing.

Perique 6.95 / 52.80 / 100 A potent tobacco pressure aged in whiskey barrels. Used in mixes to supply a bold, chocolatey spice.

May 31, 2012
I have it on good authority that Bo Norh made all their pipes...
laughing-smiley-pointing.gif
Why did they choose such an incompetent hack as Bo?
Most.Over.Rated.Ever.
Boo,

that's how you pronounce his name.
Couldn't sandblast his way out of a paper bag either!

:wink:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The history on the company's website is a little off. The first shot at establishing the business was between Fred Hayes Leavitt (1861-1921) and Henry A. Brock (1851-1888). Both men were listed as cigar makers. The shop was originally at 436 Harvard in Cambridge, and first appears in the 1884 city directory as Brock & Leavitt. By the next year Brock is gone, and the shop, still at the same address, is now listed as Leavitt & Peirce. Leavitt's new partner was named William Wallace (not Waldo) Peirce (1860-1922). The shop moved a few times before settling on Mass Ave.
What happened after the two founders died in rapid succession is not clear to me. Leavitt's only son became a physician, and Peirce had no children. So either the business was sold, and then resold to Ehrlich in 1956, or perhaps a more distant member of the family took it over. Alternatively one or both of the widows might have continued to operate the business, or perhaps Leavitt's son continued to own it but left day to day management to the employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.