Seeking advice: What would you do with single tin of unavailable tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I have an unopened tin of Dunhill 965 (50 g) and FM On The Town (100 g) which I bought in April of 2018. I bought these tins before I started getting deep into exploring and cellaring the wide world of tobaccos, which for me began this past December. I now realize I have 2 tins that I can't reasonably obtain again.
I'm considering opening the tins and dividing the contents up into small jars I can dip into from time to time. I think I should do this sooner than later.
Thoughts?
Thanks all.
(resist the temptation to tell me to send them to you for "safekeeping" :)

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Smoke them. Keep it simple.
So even though they have a year of age on the already, you suggest cracking the tins to jar and smoke? is there a reason I should wait to crack open the tins?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Open and jar into smaller jars. Enjoy yourself.

I heard a quote a while ago- don’t wait for a special occasion to enjoy your best tobaccos, make enjoying your best tobaccos a special occasion

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you have tasted them before, and you remember their taste, then consider aging them for a while longer so you can experience how aging changed them. If you have no such reference point, then smoke some of it, and jar the leftovers for future use.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I just opened a tin of Dunhill 965 from 2014. I put it in a half pint mason jar to be smoked sparingly until it is gone. I'm an optimist, I believe the Dunhill blends will return.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd just smoke 'em, but if it floats your boat to age them, you can age them in the tins (or many do) and smoke them when you get inspired. If I don't go ahead and smoke something good, other good blends come in, and I'm stuck, and the tins get dusty, and it doesn't seem particularly useful. Or smoke one and age the other. Remember, though, it's smoking tobacco not aging tobacco. Nor an investment portfolio.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I'd smoke it unless I could find someone who wanted to pay me a ridiculous amount of money for it on a well known auction site. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.