PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I have a few shekels to spend this holiday season. And I've been moving progressively up the price chain with pipe purchases. My most recent acquisition was a Castello. Wonderful pipe. And I'd be just fine buying another.
However, there is something about the Dunhill style that appeals to me - understated, not too big and not too small. And some pretty amazing briar. Not to mention its reputation as a great smoker.
I'm a sandblast and rustication guy for the most part. So I'm looking mostly at Cumberland and Shell Briar pipes. The 02 shape appeals to me - especially the warm hues of the Cumberlands. I'm leaning towards a Group 4 in terms of size and weight.
So I guess what I'm asking is - would a group 4 02 in either Cumberland or Shell Briar be a good place to start for a first Dunhill?
BTW - though I'm not averse to estates, I tend to purchase my first pipe within a marque as new, and then move on to estates.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Foggy gets his new Dunhills from alpascia.com, they have the best prices and super fast shipping (usually several days to the US).

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
So I guess what I'm asking is - would a group 4 02 in either Cumberland or Shell Briar be a good place to start for a first Dunhill?

It's a great place to start. Group 4 is a nice medium size that you won't pass over due to being too big/small for the occasion. Cumberland/Shell 02's will be common enough that you can pick the nicest of several pieces. And, as Dunhills go, a blasted 02 won't be as overpriced as some of their other offerings.
I only have a pair of Dunhills, but like both very much. One is a late-90's vintage Shell 4105RG (Ring Grain stamped Shell Dublin), so not far off of the 02's you're looking at. It's an absolutely fantastic Latakia smoker, every bit the equal of the old, family-era Sasieni I also smoke Lats in. And it's a beautiful pipe in a classic style.
I do think you want to be choosy in buying a Dunhill - there's a fair amount of variation in the quality of grain/blast and shaping details out there, even though they're all priced identically within a given size/finish. The nice thing about a 4x02 is that you'll have lots of options there.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I do think you want to be choosy in buying a Dunhill - there's a fair amount of variation in the quality of grain/blast and shaping details out there, even though they're all priced identically within a given size/finish. The nice thing about a 4x02 is that you'll have lots of options there.
Excellent. I've been noticing quite a wide variation within a grade in terms of grain, size, weight, etc.
I have not purchased from Al Pascia, but I've heard only excellent things about the company and service there.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
If you can find a 4202 or 4101 Shilling go for it. The shilling has the ring grain with the cumberland finish.

Maybe something like this.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
James Barber in the U.K. usually has good prices on Dunhills. I believe Foggy mentioned that shop in another thread.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Either would be a great first Dunhill. A estate can be a real value if you don't mind the chase. Good luck with your hunt.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
And don't forget that Briar Blues just listed a large number of Shell finish Dunhills at a fraction of the cost for a new pipe. Tell Mike I sent you!

http://www.briarblues.com/unitedkingdom.htm

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Many thanks for the suggestions guys. Much appreciated. The selection at Al Pascia is pretty amazing, and the prices are better than here in the States. Then again, there's an online store where I've purchased all my pipes so far (one of our sponsoring vendors) and they haven't steered me wrong yet.
I'll make up my mind within the week and I imagine within a couple weeks I'll have a photo or two to share.

Aug 14, 2012
James Barber is the lowest priced place for Dunhills that I have found. Alpascia is a little higher, but by the time you get done with the shipping costs they are about the same. There is a price control in the USA which makes the pipes cost as much as $200 more in this country. Also, the best pipes stay in Europe. They rarely get sent to dealers in "the colonies."

weeirv

Lurker
Nov 18, 2011
Hi, I am something of a collector of Dunhill pipes...my advice would be buy pre 1960 Dunhill's, when good briar was in abundance and the folks to make perfection..!

Best Wishes weeirv.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@ Foggy

I haven't smoked one County myself, but the aesthetics of this series (choice of briar grain, stain color, and cumberland stem) tops most other Dunhill sandblast, and they always flirt with me when I check them out. :oops:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just handled a new White Spot Bruyere Zulu at the Philly pipe club meeting this evening, awesome pipe, first rate mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.