PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I figured I might as well start off the month right and get the PAD going again. I honestly did not think I would win this pipe at the price I put in. I didn't try sniping at the end, just through out a number and won. It is a Winslow E grade with some major thick walls. I have 4 other Winslows and all smoke incredibly well. This will be the third E grade in the collection.
KGrHqZjQEpdpVBQBfvUg2kw60_57.jpg

T2eC16N0E9s37E2miBQBfvLFDPg60_57.jpg

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Beautiful piece!!!! I Just got a new pipe today as well. Its covered in sterling silver. Its no looker like this, and i doubt it smokes like this either. I posted pix on a new thread!!! Thanks again for the care pack buddy :D

joshy

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2011
Very pretty. It also looks really heavy, any truth to this?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks guys. Yes it is a heavy pipe, definitely not a clencher. This puppy weighs in at 130 grams, which is ok. I bought it for the thick walls, knowing it will be a cool smoker.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Saw this and others like it on eBay but didn't know anything about the maker. Glad to hear he makes good smokers, I'm going to have to bid next time...
Nice catch :D

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
Very nice looking pipe you got there.I have never smoked a Winslow but I have been curious about them may have to pick one up one of these days.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mike, when I get this one in, I will definitely take a group photo. For those that don't know the brand, Poul Winslow has been carving for a very long time. You can read his history here. http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Poul_Winslow
In my opinion Winslow makes some of the best smoking pipes you can buy. My experience is with his hand made grades go from E up to B. The E's smoke just as well as the more expensive B's. He does have higher grades than B that go up to A and Private Collection. The only difference from an E to a Private Collection is the quality of grain, not smoking properties. I can tell you that if you buy any Winslow hand made, you will be getting an incredible smoking pipe. I rate them as good as Castello,Former, Willmer, Ardor and better than Dunhill, Ashton, Barbi, Peter Matzhold,Kurt Balleby, Reiner, Radice, Viprati and others. I paid 85 bucks for the one above and I am positive it will be an incredible smoker.
I don't know anything about his lower end pipes from the Crown and Viking series but knowing Winslow, I am sure they smoke very well.
Here are pics of the ones I have and I bought all of these back in 2000 and 2001.
C grade Winslow

DSC01496.jpg

D Grade Winslow

DSC01454.jpg

E Grade Winslow

DSC01452.jpg

E Grade Winslow

DSC01446.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Cigrmaster what does the grading mean? Also you seem to have a great collection. I would be cool to see a pic of the whole thing.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Just realized I should clarify my above statement about grading. How do you tell grading and who grades them?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
photoman, the E grades are all a combination of straight grain and rustication. D,C,B,A,and Private Collection are all straight grains. The higher the letter the straighter and more uniform the grain. It really has nothing to do with smoking quality, only aesthetics. People who chase grain ( like I used to ) prefer the higher grades. I used to have a B grade that had incredible straight grain, 360 degrees around the pipe with incredible birds eye on the bottom. Here is a pic of the birdseye on the bottom of my C Grade.
DSC01451.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.