Seeing Everyone Get New Pipes Made Me Itch...So I Scratched

(23 posts)
  • Started 6 months ago by carolinachurchwarden
  • Latest reply from tnfan
  1. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PAD always bites hard when I get to seeing new pipes shown off and I had been itching to buy another already and was on the edge of the cliff looking for that next void I wanted to fill in my pipe shape list, so seeing Hoosierpipeguy post up his first acquisition of the year, pushed me off the cliff.

So I made my first pipe purchase of the year myself with a Rossi Vittoria 8815 Lumberman. I started out never really envisioning ownership of many straight stemmed pipes, preferring bents almost always. Then, through the likes of seeing the sweet longshank collection our esteemed Peckinpahhombre had commissioned, I found the beauty of the longshank shape.

This will be my first purchased longshank pipe and if I enjoy the way it smokes, I might be looking for something nicer down the road. I picked up an ounce of some PS LNF as well, since my pool of tobacco has been limited to mostly latakia heavy and OTC blends. Figured it was time to explore some other tobacco with the start of a new year.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

Good on you for broadening your options. LNF is good stuff too.

Posted 6 months ago #
  3. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peer pressure is a dangerous drug Matt! That's a nice simple looking pipe. I too seem to prefer bents, but there is a sort of simple elegance to a straight pipe.

Posted 6 months ago #
  4. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good on you for broadening your options. LNF is good stuff too.

Yeah, I just figured I might as well. You never know for sure if you don't like something until you've tried it! Looking forward to trying the baccy too.

Peer pressure is a dangerous drug Matt! That's a nice simple looking pipe. I too seem to prefer gents, but there is a sort of simple elegance to a straight pipe.

Yes it is Mike, VERY dangerous indeed! I do like the simplicity to it. Peck's collection he had commissioned is really what drove me to want one, but didn't feel comfortable dropping too much at once on something I wasn't sure I'd like, so this was my cheaper "in" on the longshanks.

Posted 6 months ago #
  5. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

We're all a bunch of shameless enablers.

Nice pick-up, and thanks for posting the picture.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 6 months ago #
  6. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Excellent choice on both! Both the Rossi Vittorias and LNF are strong values that stand on their own merits.

I will say I've noticed a bit of an increased break-in period smoking straight VA in the two Vittorias I own. Must be the bowl coating, coupled with the mildness of Virginias.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 6 months ago #
  7. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That’s a great pipe Carolina. You will enjoy the straight shank for sure. Let us know how she smokes.

Neal
    Posted 6 months ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

No more for me, my collecting bug has gone elsewhere now, but being a Savinelli subsidiary, that Rossi is going to serve you very well. Classic shape and very classy finish.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 6 months ago #
  9. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice looking pipe CCW. Congrats and enjoy!

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

I've got two of those Vittoria pipes, a 320 and a Canadian. They smoke absolutely great and for the price you just can't beat them. I like that they don't have a filter, but wish the stems were a little gentler on my teeth, but since I don't clench that much it isn't really a problem.

Great scratch! Nice pipe, hope you enjoy it!!

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like long shank pipes, the Canadian shape family, what I call the most stately pipes. I also like my Vittoria; the whole Rossi line has improved from its beginning.

Posted 6 months ago #
  12. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That’s a really good looking pipe and LNF is one of my top tobaccos to enjoy, regards.
    banjo

Posted 6 months ago #
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a fine looking classic. I hope it smokes great for you, congrats.

Harris
    Posted 6 months ago #
  14. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Handsome pipe. I've got 3 Rossis and like them all. No complaints.

Tim
    Posted 6 months ago #
  15. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Classy looking pipe! I'm normally not a fan of black blasts (I own only one), but that's nice! Enjoy the heck out of it

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 6 months ago #
  16. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

Straight pipes are the best, and Stokkebye's Navy Flake is a great smoke. I always keep some one hand, especially for the morning time. Very fine choices, most definitely.

Posted 6 months ago #
  17. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

that Rossi is going to serve you very well.
    Could not agree more! Good choice...

"the weez"...
    Posted 6 months ago #
  18. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks all, I really can't wait to get it. I've had my eyes on some of these for a while and just never pulled the trigger. Saw a few I was watching disappear before I decided to hit click and wished I'd done it, but didn't think this one was too badly priced for entry level, plus it's a Savinelli subsidiary so I figured that ain't too bad.

Thinking if I like this one, the next one I'll seek is one of the Punto Oro Gold's with the same profile. I think they look sharp too.

Really looking forward to the LNF as well. Haven't stepped in that direction yet, so I believe it deserves a fair shake. Not sure how much perique is present, but it'll be an interesting change of pace for me. Seen so many talk about it that I had it on my list to try.

Anthony, I'm not usually a fan of black either, but this one seems like it fits it really well.

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been wanting a pipe from the Canadian family for the longest time. Let us know how it smokes.

Vade retro, peer pressure!

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 6 months ago #
  20. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe. I too favor bent pipes but would really like to add some straights. The 1/4 bent saddle stem is always a big hit with me but your new pipe has definitely got me wanting something like that.

New pipe, new tobacco. Doesn't get much better than that. Please report back. Enjoy!

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 6 months ago #
  21. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

My Rossi has become one of my favorite pipes. After I took off the stupid finish, it really started to shine. Looks like you got a good one!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 6 months ago #
  22. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

Didimauw, how did you take off the finish? Just curious. I like the craggy black finish, but it wouldn't break my heart to get rid of the shine.... Pics?

Posted 6 months ago #
  23. tnfan

tnfan

Login to Send PM

Nice! Classy looking pipe! Enjoy! The

Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulfg, nunnster, lightxmyfire, ben88, pipestud, troyniss, sasquatch, ashdigger, hugodrax, pappymac, nhhiggy