PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I joined this forum in the beginning of November, almost 2 months ago. Unfortunately, I was not qualified to take part in the Secret Santa, and actually I wasn't even aware of the social exchange until a couple weeks ago. Seeing the exchanges and generosity of this community towards one another, across nations and borders, is truly a blessing.
That being said, a fellow member on here saw one of my posts involving my cellaring Vintage Syrian, and PMd me that he would like to send me a 9 year old tin to help build up my cellar. He also asked if I needed a couple pipes, that he was thinning out his stock, and I said yes, that I had a friend who was trying to quit cigs and I'd pass another pipe along to him.
Well, the package arrived today..with 4 pipes and 13 tins! 8O
Two Bewlay canadians, (lovat shape 254, lumberman shape 127), an unmarked billard square-shaft/saddle bit, and a Barlings 5899 meerschaum billiard with a 1/4 bent saddle. My first real meer. And saddle-bits are my favorite.
There were 2 tins of 2006 HH Vintage Syrian. Several of the other tobaccos were on my next "to be ordered" list; Pease Caravan, Cumberland, Odyssey, and H&H WhiteKnight. There was also a tin of SixPence, which I have already tried and it should cellar very nice. And the rest were blends that I have never thought of sampling. Erinmore Flake, Orlik Golden Sliced, Lane Crown Achievement, Astleys No 44, Wessex Campaign, and a 2005 tin of Frog Morton (on the log).
I am still dumbfounded. I am not going to post his username, in case he wishes to stay anonymous, but he has my enormous gratitude, and assurance that this will be spread though my local fellow pipe smokers.
Next year, I hope to join in and share as well.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
GW:
It's weird isn't it? These acts of largesse are not class distinctive or an anomaly. (As an old girlfriend used to say, "Dopers like to share." And share they will.)
I've been the recipient of more random acts of kindness on this forum and, to this day, it still overwhelms me. Forum members have sent me burners and pouches of tobacco that have completely reshaped my very small pipe smoking world.
You just pay it forward, brother.
Fnord

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
@trailboss - I have seen many posts on Secret Santa where a vast number of members have been extremely generous, and more threads of generosity that have nothing to do with the holidays. It definitely gives one pause.
@eastertraveler - VS is a wonderful blend, and I am sure that I will enjoy the aged immensely.
@fnord - I will definitely be passing some of this along, but not before I try them all. There are a lot of blends that I have not tried, or even considered. Paying Forward is definitely the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.