Second pipe. First "High End". Any experience?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
So last Friday at around 2100 hours I took a dive and purchased a Bjarne Viking Classic Matte Brandy. Officially my second pipe and first higher end. I currently smoke a Dr. Grabow Royal Duke...which I thoroughly enjoy..so I can't imagine how much better a ..well..better quality made pipe is.
The wait is absolutely killing me. I ordered the pipe (along with some baccy and maintenance items) at the worst time considering the upcoming weekend and...oh yeah..forgot about MLK too..damn.
After checking the tracking information for the millionth time today I imagine I'll receive my package tomorrow if all goes well. It left MA on it's way to MD around 10am. Today is also the first day the tracking info has actually been available.
Anyway..does anyone have any Bjarne Viking pipes in their rotation? Or Brandy shapes in general? Having had just a picture to base my decision on it looked like a beautiful pipe suitable for everyday use.

Jul 15, 2011
I have heard a lot of great things about Bjarne pipes, and I almost pulled the trigger on a Viking Churchwarden recently, but passed it up for a few corn cobs and some baccy. All in all, you made a fine decision, and should be very happy with your purchase. I think my B&M sells Bjarne pipes too but Ive never really taken a good look at their selection.

byzcath

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2010
I have a couple of Bjarnes, which are in regular rotation, and "Elsinore" and a "Copenhagen" (both "Viking Classics"). I love them both, and have had good experiences with them.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I just got a few Vikings from B&C. Only done 1 break in bowl each so I'll hold my judgement but so far so good. I also just got in a couple of Grabows. Only done one of them so far but, minus a slight whistling sound, it did quite well. I'll have to reconsider Grabows.

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
Good to hear an overall positive opinion. I couldn't resist that little viking engraving either haha. Overall the pipe looked incredible aesthetically. I'll be sure to take pictures once I receive it.
I was pretty surprised at the experience I had. Walking into a drugstore for a Dr. Grabow and OTC pouch of CBW doesn't sound like the most appealing smoke session. But I was pleasantly surprised.
I really love that Royal Duke. It isn't the most visually appetizing pipe, but it is a great smoke for what it is.
I smoked it (filterless) 5 full bowls before I got a gurgle. I didn't have pipe cleaners...so I used paper towels and she was good as new. Apparently they don't need to be broken in too much..the packaging just suggested you smoke half bowls for the first bit to develop an even carbon...I kind of went 1/2, full, 3/4, full, full, full. etc;
I plan on picking up another Grabow...a smooth one rather than the..rusticated? one I got.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Someone is bound to say it, so i'll be the first. "THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES!" That being said, congratulations on your purchase, may your pipe smoke well

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
In the OPs defense:

. I ordered the pipe (along with some baccy and maintenance items) at the worst time considering the upcoming weekend and...oh yeah..forgot about MLK too..damn.
After checking the tracking information for the millionth time today I imagine I'll receive my package tomorrow
Hopefully he'll indulge us once he gets it :)

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
I'll be sure to take pictures once I receive it.
I know I write a lot.
I haven't received it yet. I was disappointed when I discovered the package absent from my mailbox after work.
I'm hopeful for tomorrow and I'll be sure to put the fancy camera I have to good use for you guys. I'm thinking my Mockingbird will make a cameo appearance as well haha.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Been smoking a Bjarne today. Copenhagen, bent.
Don't really care for bent pipes, but I need another one for smoking while doing things that involve my hands.
I have an Aldo Velani bent that is dedicated to English.
The Bjarne is dedicated to aromatics.
It is my first Bjarne pipe, but it will definitely be a brand worth looking into should for future purchases.

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
Finally got my package. Here ya go guys. One question....is Dunhill Nightcap supposed to smell absolutely terrible? Does it taste better than it smells? I got Sir Walter Raleigh with it rather than Middleton's Apple and it smells wonderful. Can't wait to smoke it.
IMG-20120120-00495.jpg

District%25252013-20120120-00498.jpg

District%25252013-20120120-00497.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pPRO6oWfrRM/Txnvu91m0FI/AAAAAAAADb8/DuKF-FaoNKA/s640/District%25252013-20120120-00496.jpg

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
Also the pipe isn't really a sitter...as it doesn't sit (no big deal), it's very light, looks beautiful despite what you see in the crappy cell phone pictures, and is easy to clench. My first impression was "This is a big pipe". Much bigger than my Royal Duke....but it's lighter..go figure.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great looking pipe. Nightcap is supposed to smell pretty bad in the tin but is beloved by many. I've not yet tried it, how did it smoke? (pipe and the Nightcap)

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Congrats on the new pipe.
As for smell............. The first thing I learned about pipe tobacco "It never tastes like it smells and never smells like it tastes"

I tend to smoke the stronger blends such as Balkans and English blends and although I love the smell, the wife thinks they all stink. (Not house worthy as my buddies wife says!)

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
Thanks guys. I haven't had the oppurtunity to smoke it yet as I hit the road after I posted the pics. I'm looking forward to trying both the NC and the SWR. Luckily I have the entire week to myself so I will have a lot of free time to enjoy the pipe as well as get an actual picture of myself up in my avatar.
I'll let you guys know how it smokes once I indulge. I packed my new tobacco pouch with some SWR for the weekend. Looking forward to it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
A Bjarne, circa 2005

1b196eec.jpg

Another, circa 1985

cba741b8.jpg

I smoke Penzance in the 2005, and the '86 mostly aromatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.