PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

arslayer

Lurker
Aug 9, 2012
I live in Florida, but I am originally a Wisconsinite at heart. Some love the weather in FL, but I hate it for most of the year. The heat coupled with the humidity make it almost unbearable. I have recently moved from cigs to pipes, and am trying to talk my wife in to letting me smoke somewhere in the house for the hot days. I have even mentioned "my" bathroom which is tucked away. The only problem which is a main concern is my 15 month old son. Is there any good way to make this happen, or am I forever banished to the porch (not necessarily a bad thing as it would make me want to enclose my porch and get a small window AC unit. I have no attic, duct work is a no-go.)

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
From what I've experienced, it doesn't matter whether or not there is a health-safety issue. If Mama don't want you to smoke in the house, don't smoke in the house. Personally, I'd opt for enclosing the porch. Besides, I've seen the size of the bugs in Florida. Why on Earth wouldn't you want to enclose it? They're so big, they could carry a small dog off... :rofl:
-Jason

arslayer

Lurker
Aug 9, 2012
The bloodsucking bugs in Florida are not the size of the ones in WI, my good sir. There is a reason that people from WI tell you that the Mosquito is the state bird. I give you the rest of the bugs though. Too big, and too ugly. I made one mistake in my OP, my porch is enclosed (poorly, with cheap screen) but not air conditioned.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
enclose porch, call a bug guy, air condition, & claim this new room for yourself. It sounds like you really need to move out of Florida though. Arizona, at 5 thousand ft. is low humidity and relatively bug free. However it was 98 degrees yesterday. Its a dry heat.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Love me so humidity and big old bugs that creep me out.

If I were you... I would get the heck outa there!!!!! 8O

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Could always smoke downstairs in the entertainment room when the kid isn't down there, it would dispurse very quickly and not affect the air quality. They would still smell it though, so I suggest an aromatic that smells nice. I'm suprized that the goverment hasn't made tobacco smoking near children a serious offense(loss of custody, jail time), I guess if they did that, the foster homes would be overcrowded. My father used to smoke pipes in the house when I was little, he even has a picture of me with a pipe in my mouth when I was 2. He said that, the picture made him feel so bad, he gave up smoking entirely then and there and so did my mother. I still ended up a pipe smoker and I got him back into pipes by restoring the ones he had lost and long forgotten.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Welcome to Florida. I am in jacksonville and the wife said NO NEVER in the house. So either suck up the heat and humidity or as a suggestion...half bowls and a portable fan. That's what I have to do.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah I'm on the porch as well. I hate smoking in the heat so it was late night pipes for me during the drought. My youngest has some health issues so I've just always smoked outside.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke in the house with my 17 and 22 year old sons and it doesn't bother them a bit. I do smoke outside on my front porch in the mornings here in Sarasota FL in the summers. I happen to love the summers with the heat and humidity, makes the old bones feel a lot looser. I have a screened lanai in the back of my place where I will smoke in the evenings, but during the heat of the day, it is inside for me.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
arslayer; does 'your bathroom' have a ventilation fan? Does it work well enough that when you stink up the place, the unpleasant odour is contained to bathroom (with the door closed, of course)? If so, you should be ok - I often have a lit bowl on hand whilst performing my morning grooming, and with the fan running and door closed I've yet to hear a complaint from my wife. That said, I also make sure the kids are not on the other side of the door; while there is no strong aroma, I have no illusions about my bathroom being hermetically sealed. I figure that after dissipating through the door, and again through the bedroom and into the rest of the house; the toxic constituents are likely far less PPM than my boys will be exposed to by going outside.
If you are considering installing a smoking-room; or part-time smoking-room, the basement is the worst location - unless you have absolutely no other choice, try and situate yourself on the top floor. Smoke rises - and will find it's way up through even apparently solid ceilings and floors. I converted my garage (under my living-room) into a man-cave, however quickly discovered that without strong secondary ventilation, I may as well have been sitting on the couch. I say make use of physics - if you have an attic, ponder its possiblities!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Box in that porch! "I'm doing it for YOU, sweetie, and the children!" She'll know you're full of it, but will probably give you the win. Remember, when you are married, you are like countries. You're Poland, she's Russia! :rofl:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Welcome to the forum, arslayer.

Perhaps you could sit in the guest house and smoke.

olddoghouse.jpg

Good luck.

arslayer

Lurker
Aug 9, 2012
Could always smoke downstairs in the entertainment room
I would love to, but we don't have too many basements down here. ;) Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It looks like I'll be slowly investing in making that my man cave. I already brew my beer in there (which is terribly hot with the propane burner going) and play darts, so I'll use that as my excuse to AC it.

Status
Not open for further replies.