PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
As has been pointed out, the Danish bug bites hard. Two weeks after the arrival of my first freehand Nording, Roth pointed me out to James Island Piper where this mystical, rustic two-tone Nording resided. It looks like it was grown in a deep forest in some sort of fairy circle. It fits in the hand wonderfully, and is much more beautiful in reality than in a photograph. Its earthiness makes for a wonderful counterpoint to the sleek black Nording I had gotten earlier. My thanks to Don at James Island, and to Roth for pointing me towards this marvel.

nb-600.jpg

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
I see the relief effect on the shank and know you have a soft spot for the dual textures that is only growing.
The dual textures of rim and bowl and almost mock calabash stance really makes a great presence. Looks like a real winner.
Let me plant the seed of Karl Erik and Preben Holm. No Danish set is complete without them... Now that your building a whole Danish rack of course. Hahahaha we are such enablers..
Wonderful recent additions, Sir. Great taste. Let us know how she smokes.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I had my first smoke with it a few hours ago--an amazing smoke, it feels like it's broken in already. And it fits in the hand so well! This pipe has to be seen "in the round" as an sculpture artist would phrase it; the plateau is partially rusticated on one side so well that you sometimes can't tell where the burned tobacco ends and the rim begins. As for Holm and Erik, well, they must wait a bit: I'll have to admire their works from afar. I'm pretty much tapped out and have enough pipes to have variety and a decent rotation. However, I will certainly look them up. But I think between the organic, modern art look of the sleek Nording and the rustic, grown feeling of the present pipe, I think I have the best of both worlds.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
At 7:30 this morning I had a delightful, real smoke with the new Nording with EMP, when everything was still quiet and the skies gray, listening to Enya softly playing barely audibly in the background; what a wonderful, serene experience! This is what pipe smoking is all about. What was that Irish proverb about 'Be silent and smoke; there is only wind and smoke in the world"? With this big rustic Nording in hand, that's what it felt like.

Status
Not open for further replies.