PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hello folks, This piece of briar sat for a long time with me staring at it wondering what I should try and make with it. As often happens I draw a simple sketch and then the briar takes on a life of it's own. I was going to put a cream colored hand turned acrylic (hand made stems are very much a work in progress) but the more I looked at it, I thought Churchwarden and so it became what it is. My stamp is nice and crisp and clean. The other numbers, well work in progress. Since it is not a military mount as most Churchwardens, I kept the shank thicker. The delrin tenon is nice and snug and there should be no issues.

The 'CM CW' means Canadian made Churchwarden. Actually, to come clean, the 'M' is an upside down 'W' and was not meant to be there but I like the idea of the 'CM' for Canadian Made.

The 01 17 means Churchwarden #1 of 2017.

Anyway, as always all comments/criticism welcome and appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

MOQiCrt.jpg

jnwSdEq.jpg

DfA7ngK.jpg

g45Mtjp.jpg

Y7rHk1r.jpg

CJVzSf7.jpg

tBaTui0.jpg

fr3bGgd.jpg

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
As always, thank you all for your kind words.

jp, I'm going to be very, very busy for the next 5 months. :rofl:

Thanks Leon, good to see you back.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
You either left a lot of tooling marks or you unevenly sanded your black base coat. You see all the splotchy black spots? Those appear to be tooling mark areas that didn't get sanded out. If you can teach yourself to get all of those out, you're smooth stains will improve in aesthetics.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks Adam, Good feedback. They are not tooling marks. I messed up on the black base. I applied the black base 3 times over a two day period sanding with 400 between applications. I think in the back of my mindwhen I saw those splotches I knew I had messed up and should have taken it completely down again but I was too impatient.

I'll be watching for that in the future for sure. I think since this is a shop pipe, I will see if I can accomplish that.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If you're serious about getting better, post your projects here:
http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18
The people who will comment make pipes as well as smoke them, and assume you want to learn. Those things make for a more information-rich experience than a general interest board like this can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.