PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Potlach is a celebration of cavendish, luxury burley, Virginias, Latakia, Perique and orientals. First of all the tin note the smell of this tobacco is Latakia heavy I get a good BBQ tin note on this one which I love. The tobacco is a ribbon cut and is pretty much ready to smoke out of the tin. The moisture on this stuff for myself was ideal to load and go. Now the light using a charring method stayed lit until a nice gray ash. In the 1/3 of the bowl I got a very nice virginia sweetness with the cavendish being noted upfront as I retro hale the perique tingles my nose. The 2/3 of the bowl the perique really dominates I get a ton of spice from this and the burley used is providing some vitamin N as well as a pleasant earthy taste. The Latakia and orientals are much in the background on this one but the Latakia is there. I did not notice much of a zing from the orientals. The 3/3 part of this bowl the perique is well there to stay in this one it is a very pleasant spice though so I am not complaining. The Latakia is still noted much in the background on this and for me no zing from the orientals. All in all this is another fine blend from Joe Lankford and company and I am glad I bought two 8oz tins. I was actually very surprised of how the Latakia stayed on the background on this one. Almost as though it's aged tobacco with fresh perique. I think a lot of people who enjoy Vapers would enjoy this blend. Probably the only thing I was a little disappointed with was the orientals. The ones used just didn't give me that zing that most orientals provide. This blend is a true hodgepodge though and I am sure the smoking experience will vary being that a variety of tobacco leaves were used in this blend. That all being said and a first impression on this I would highly recommend this stuff. It is available at pipes and cigars for $29.99 for 8oz and 10.99 for 2 oz. The pipe used while smoking this was a Boswell poker nose warmer. I hope all enjoyed this review and it's summertime so this blend should be ideal.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Nice job on that review Shane! Makes me want to try some Potlatch to be sure. Try some different pipes, time of day, that kind of thing, sometimes a blend will show another attribute not previously noted,Iike letting those orientals sing a bit. Sometime just being exposed to atmosphere for a week while you are working through the tin a blend will change too and I've seen more often than not. I don't get paid to review as most of us here don't but I personally go with a three pipe rule before I pass any true judgement on any blend for no other reason than to decide if it's one that's really for me. I know you've tasted some great tobaccos so let me just say to those reading, this guy can pick apart a blend and I think you did a fine job doing just that with Potlatch!
If all the above seems like unadulterated ass kissing, well, he is coming back to the shop soon and I want to smoke some of this stuff!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I was my favorite of the three new SPC tobaccos when I tried them in January.
Joe told me it was his, as well.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
It is a solid blend for sure. I am looking forward to trying this stuff in a few different style of pipes. With a variety of leaves that this blend has I am sure the smoking experience will be different each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.