PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Plenty of folks describe VAs and VA/Pers as good tobaccos for summer, hot and bright, while waiting to delve into their Latakia blends until the temperature falls a bit. I'm finding the opposite to be true for me. While I'll happily enjoy whatever tobacco I happen to fancy at the moment regardless of the day (and I'm sure most folks are like this), the smokiness of English blends speaks to me of campfires and warm nights of summer, while the toasty sweetness of VAs and VA/Pers elicit thoughts of dry leaves, with the herbal qualities excellently complimenting the damp, earthy smells of a crisp fall day.
Beyond just association, it seems that how I perceive the flavor of tobacco changes with the weather and seasons. For example, the mustiness of Balkan blends becomes more prevalent when it's damp and humid, and the herbal (some might say "incense-like") nuances of VAs pop a bit more in cooler weather than in the summer, when the brighter grass and citrus notes have stronger say.
Have any of you noticed similar changes in perceived flavors? And do your blend preferences follow any sort of seasonal pattern? Or is there just a screw loose somewhere in my head that desperately requires attention?

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Yes, I enjoy Latakia more in the summer and fall. Aromatics in the deep of winter and Virginia blends more reserved for the spring.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I haven't smoked anything long enough to provide a solid answer for myself, but I have read about plenty of people who smoke different things dependent on the weather and season.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I happen to fancy at the moment regardless of the day (and I'm sure most folks are like this)
That's me, however I do have habitual smokes such as EMP in the morning and I keep CB and CH at work for daily smoking

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I enjoy English and Balkan blends year 'round. There is no rule, no "acceptable practice": So, whatever you like, whenever you like.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Summer is Burley time for me, where for winter I want warmer tasting tobaccos, so favor those Va/Bur and Va/Per/Bur mixes, in addition to the blends I throw together for myself which are sort of all-day every-day things.
And of course, Royal Yacht and Old Joe Krantz are perfect for all seasons.
For being outside in winter, Irish Flake and Perfect Plug are also glorious, especially in the morning after coffee.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have no seasonal tastes. I go with the flow and how I feel. If I am feeling contemplative I am more prone to Lat. If I am feeling carefree I am more prone to Va's.
VaPers and VaOr's are on a whim.
Life is good.

Jan 8, 2013
I more or less just smoke what I think sounds good in the moment. And that can be anything, year round. However, I do find that balkan blends, aromatics, and other more complex blends tend to come alive more in the fall and winter when the weather is cooler.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, I can't do Lat blends in the summer months I simply don't enjoy them. As soon as the weather breaks I fall back in love with all my neglected Balkans. I can smoke all other genres year round.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I smoke what I smoke year round, but have been smoking more ODF lately. There's something about cool crisp nights next to a fire with a bowl of dark fired. I'm headed out to WV to do some work this coming week and will be enjoying bowls of ODF and Balkan Sobranie on the porch in the evening, Virginias while driving, and Carter Hall in a cob while working. So, yes, my tastes do fluctuate a little based on weather; but I have about a dozen core blends that I'm always smoking regardless of season.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I enjoy everything year round but find myself reaching for darker fuller blends in the cooler months. Also I know it's all in my head but after the summer passes peach and cherry blends are a no go for me. I like maple, coffee, chocolate, and rum blends during the cooler months if I'm going to smoke an aromatic.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I smoke everything year 'round but do tend to smoke more Lat blends in the fall/winter. I'll smoke the occasional Lat bomb in the summer and a tin or two of a Syrian blend but most summer smokes are in the VA family. I also enjoy a nice aro any time of the year for a bit of a change of pace.

Vapers get smoked almost every day regardless of time of year.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No rhyme or reason with my tobacco selection. Just whatever feels right at the moment. I am, however, more prone to aromatics when it's cold.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have always likened tobacco to food. Smokey Balkans are the meat, Virginias are the grains and veggies, and Aeros are the dessert. So I am pretty open to whatever, whenever, since I am a foodie. hehe.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
That's quite a nice variety of responses! It's interesting to me how the multitudinous variables associated with pipe smoking manifest themselves differently among different people

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
In the winter when it is cold and sunny I always feel like smoking a cigar outside. Not very good for the wrapper though.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Always smoke what you're craving and want. As for myself, I definitely craved Latakia when the slightest chill hits the air.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Well, I have made it a full change of seasons as a pipe smoker. Started off with a house blend aro, from my local BnM, and then immedialy got a tin of Frog on the Town. Smoked that and Frog mortons cellar. I was pretty happy trying out english blends, until I got my first va/per. Fast forward to now. Fall hit and Im back on the english, though my va/pers are not far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.