PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlr1

Lurker
May 29, 2014
As the weather warms up here for the summer, I find myself looking to move away from the heavy English blends I have been smoking and to move toward the Va/Pers. Not sure why, but when it is 90 degrees outside and 90 percent humidity, latakia just is not what I am looking for. So, I have started experimenting with Virginia and Virginia/Perique blends. So far, I have tried Escudo and Orlick Golden Sliced. Between the two, I much prefer OGS despite what appears to be overwhelming reviews saying Escudo is the better of the two. Are there any other very well reviewed (read classic) Va/Pers to try and how do they compare to the above two? On a scale of 1 to 10, I like Escudo at about a 5 and OGS at about a 7. Looking for that 10 to try. Hit or miss ordering of tins seems like an inefficient way to go. Any help would be appreciated.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
You and I are in the same boat: tried Escudo and OGS. I also have tried the new Three Nuns and like it just fine, it isn't exactly a ... religious, experience (insert CSI: Miami music). But it is a good smoke. I also have some Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls I've yet to get into.
Here's my short list (at least the VA VaPers) for an upcoming order in a week or so: McClelland St James Woods, Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake, GLP Haddo's Delight and Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture.
Those were all added due to high reviews from folks here on PM and on TobaccoReviews.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Most people wouldn't even consider Orlik Golden Sliced a Virginia / perique blend, since the perique levels are so low. If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking towards brighter VAs. Probably Dunhill Flake would be a nice place to start, and if you want a mild perique blend to go with it, Elizabethan Mixture would be fine. Those are two absolute classics, and neither of them seems to have suffered much from Orlik taking over the blending.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Been enjoying a lot of Virginias and VaPers over the last month or so with a steady diet of Dunhill Flake especially during the hotter days. The stuff is idiot proof (I should know) and it's perfect for a non complicated smoke. I still hit the Latakia blends on cool evenings and have been smoking orientals too. Kind of all over the place this summer.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Agree on Dunhill Flake. Sutliff Virginia Slices was recommended to me be lestrout and I really like it. Not quite DF, but close. Much cheaper. Haven't tried my OGS yet, but smells more like DF than Escudo / PS LNF.
I've been getting away from heavy latakia blends too, but have been smoking more burley. But, honestly, not much smoking this summer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My taste in tobacco doesn't correspond to seasons, as it turns out. I'd expect to want lighter blends

in summer, and heavier in winter. Instead, it seems to hinge more n mood, how hearty I'm eating,

where I'm smoking, and how I'm feeling emotionally. Here we are in the heat of the year, and I'm

reveling in C&D Old Joe Krantz, which isn't the lightest blend.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I think Lat blends tend to remind most of sitting fireside, so your brain may be a bit confused with higher temperatures and a nearby campfire.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. I myself, thought that I wouldn't enjoy Latakia when it's warmer out, but lately I've been smoking quite a bit of Lat blends here in the South.
There's no hard and fast rule for types of blends you should smoke, so just enjoy what your mood dictates.

jlr1

Lurker
May 29, 2014
Thank you all. I just ordered some Dunhill Flake. So, I have rounded out my current tobacco rotation, depending on the mood, to the following in the following order of preference in each category:
English/Balkan Blend
1. Dunhill Nightcap

2. Esoterica Penzance

3. Lancer's Slices
Non-English/Balkan Blends

1. Orlik Golden

2. Dunhill Flake (awaiting trial)

3. Escudo

Status
Not open for further replies.