PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
I'm still pretty new to pipe smoking, but I noticed pretty early on that my taste gravitated towards English and Lat blends. However, I started smoking a pipe during the winter. The past few days, we've had a taste of Spring warmth here in TN. Suddenly, I noticed myself craving aromatics. Overall, the flavor of these aromatics have made much more of an impression on me during the warmer weather than the winter weather. I suspect the reason is similar to the reason we crave heavy stews and such in the winter, and lighter meals in the summer.
Does anyone else find that their tastes change with the seasons?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My tastes seem to change from day to day, week to week, month to month and so forth. I alternate between a full range of tobaccos, Va's, Va/Burs, Va/Pers, Burleys, English/Balkans, Hybrids, and Aromatics. Here lately I've been going back and forth between Vas, Va/Pers and Lats, next week/month who knows! For me it's not really a seasonal thing, just whatever I happen to be in the mood for at the time.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I noticed last summer I started smoking more Va/Per during the summer than my usual Latakia.
Here in Wales today it feels surprisingly warm and is a bright day. Feels like early spring and Elizabethan Mixture was stuffed in the pipe for my walk to the bank this morn. I suspect I will be smoking this all day today.
A short answer to your question is yes. Indeed I do.
James

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Yep. My latakia blends go to the back of the shelf in the spring & summer but come back out in Fall/Winter. Mild virginias which seem boring in freezing weather spring to life when the thermostat gets to 60+.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I agree with jgriff, except I still smoke some milder latakia blends during the summer months. At night here it usually ends up in the high 50s, even if the day was 90+, so a bowl of something like Chelsea Morning or Meridian at night isn't unheard of for me. But during the day, it's Fillmore, which is a big VA/perique blend. I've got some Union Square, McCranie's Red Flake, and Triple Play I'm waiting to open until it gets warmer out, too.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I have only been smoking for about a year so I haven't realized this personally. I am really just trying to find my way and believe I am on the right path.
As you have stated this concept is the same with food and even more with beer. We tend to drink the heavier beers in the winter and the lighter ones in the summer. It makes sense to me.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pretty observant, Jake. I tend to smoke Vas and Vapers in Spring and Summer. Burley forward blends at other times.

There's lots of variation in the pattern, but the tendency to adjust with the seasons is unmistakeable.
G L Pease wrote an article for PipesMagazine.com called The Blends Of Summer, which addresses this topic. A good read.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Usually in winter, VA consumption falls to zero and the frequency of heavies like Lancer Slices picks up. I do a lot of my smoking outside and on the move, and to me VAs and their ilk are cold, thin and flat in colder temps.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I smoke way too much, way way too much, of all varieties and genres, all the time, to even be able to keep up with the seasons. Or vice-versa. So, no for me.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I smoke based on my mood and what pipe I'm wanting to smoke. I don't think weather or seasons has ever played any part in that at all.
Bob

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I don't think the season affects my tobacco selection too much. Especially since I get about 10 months of winter, I would never get to smoke my Virginias hahaha. I have made the determination that cigars are best reserved for warmer weather though. I was sitting outside on what I considered to be a warm winter afternoon, and about half way through my cigar the wrapper busted open. Fortunately I was still able to finish the cigar ( a fine Ashton with an African Cameroon Wrapper), but the flavour was affected.
In short, weather doesn't affect my taste in pipe tobacco, but I'm better to reserve my cigar smoking for warmer weather.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Haha, no not that far North. I was using a little sarcasm, but it sometimes feels like winter lasts for 10 months :)

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I to smoke both light latakia blend, Virginias and VaPers all year long. The time of the year and the type of tobacco smoked has never been seasonal. However, I can understand some pipe smokers having the urge to smoke heavier latakia based blends in the late fall and winter months and VaPers and Virginias in the spring and summer.

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
Sounds like some experience a change and others don't. Today was especially blustery and overcast, and I found myself gravitating towards MM965. Could be more mood based than seasonal. Though, seasons do affect my moods.
I suspect I'll try to squeeze in another bowl tonight before this apparently severe storm moves through here in East TN. A chance of tornadoes tonight!

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
petes03 I agree , Im the same way. when you have as many pipes as i have you have the luxury of bouncing from blend to blend at a whim smoking whatever tickles your fancy

Status
Not open for further replies.