PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Hello, a week ago I just moved my family from New Zealand to Winnipeg, Canada (my wife is a Canadian and its her turn to be 'home' for a couple of years).
I have since had a few bowls of Presbyterian mixture, a blend I am fairly familiar with and have smoked in rotation most weeks for a few years. I am finding it tastes quite different from what I am familiar with, the oriental leaf and the already subtle latakia seem to take even more of a backseat and the virginia's seem heavier, I dont know quite how to explain it, but I am smoking outside while shoveling snow in -30c (-22f) and a week ago I was puffing away in the New Zealand summer at maybe 25c (77f). Do any of you notice a change in familiar blends with the gradual seasonal changes, or do you think I am only picking up on this because of the abrupt and stark climatic shift?
Hello to the Canadians, and are there any Winnipegers out there?
Isaac

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
There are a lot of smokers that only smoke Latakia blends in late fall and winter and I've often tried to understand why. I smoke any blend all year long and notice no difference. I've heard that some smokers say that they do not want to smell a burning camp fire in the hot weather. As for me, that never bothered me. I guess it's just a personal thing.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Overall I can enjoy any type of blend year-round, but latakia blends are definitely more special to me when it's cold out, and less appealing when it's extremely hot out.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just noticed it myself this year. I got big into Virginias and VaPers over the spring and summer. Once the temperature dropped, I'm in Vegas so that means from 80F to 50F for highs, I noticed the Va's and VaPers I loved weren't tasting as amazing as they had when it was 20-30 degrees warmer.
I've heard of some pipe guys rotating blending styles to the seasons. Now I see why. I'll probably be more Virginia VaPer heavy in the summer and more aromatic heavy in the winter.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I enjoy more Virginias in spring/summer, and more Latakias in Fall/Winter. No formal reasoning, I just do.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Minus 22f?! Aren't you worried the bit will freeze to your lips? Lol.
I can't imagine enjoying a pipe while shoveling snow. Seems to me I would be puffing like a steam locomotive . That might be a contributing

factor too.
Mike S.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Hey welcome to Canada mortonbriar! I am in south western Ontario about an hour east of Detroit, Michigan. Last winter was brutally cold where I am at (although Winnipeggers would laugh at what I consider brutally cold). I was fairly new to pipe smoking at the time so I hadn't heard of switching up to latakia blends for winter. Sometime after winter I read about that so I stocked up on some more lat blends this past fall. Well, here I am waiting for winter. It's been extremely mild here - in fact it's +8C and I was just outside in my shirtsleeves for a bit. The weather's supposed to turn a bit colder next week so I intend to open up a tin and see if I notice any difference.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I enjoy English blends in the winter; Virginia and Va/Per in the spring; don't smoke pipes much in the summer; and Burley and Va/Bur in the fall, and/or on gray rainy days. There's no real rhyme or reason to this; just kind of how my natural flow/taste works.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Last week on my break at work,a co worker got his car stuck in a half inch of snow on top of ice in the parking lot. I helped try to push him out, and do you think I put my pipe down for that? HELL NO :)

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I do notice some changes in how a blend smokes and tastes as the weather changes. For me, it seems to be more related to the humidity than the temperature. At minus 30 c the air, even on a damp day, will have very little moisture.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
No specific schedule. I smoke what strikes me, when it strikes me. I'm pretty much a Burley smoker though, so the variety in my rotation is pretty much different Burley blends.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wow! What a monumental change in climate. I'd say there'd be a big effect on taste of just about everything! It will level out over time.
Meantime, stay warm! I am about to watch the goings on well South of you, in balmy Minnesota, where the Vikings will try to stuff the birds of Seattle. It's some thing like -5 F, -22 with wind chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.