PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Well, it finally happened. Colorado's allergy season has kicked into gear (although it is snowing in Denver today), and between the increased pollen count and the fact that my humidifier has sprung a leak, I'm skirting a bronchitis outbreak and coughing again, as my body tries to convert every ounce of fluid I consume into more mucous. My spouse had a bout of something 2 weeks ago, and I thought I'd dodged that particular bullet, but now we're both coughing and wheezing. We're planning to replace the humidifier this weekend, but I'm afraid that my regular Friday afternoon pipe session may be on hold for a while. And just when the weather was starting to cooperate...

drumweezer

Lurker
Mar 24, 2015
The pollen is extremely atrocious in eastern North Carolina. We were able to get a bit of a break this week because of a cold front that came through. I hope you feel better soon!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks. As noted, it's snowing today (springtime in the Rockies...) which helps. It's mostly the dang trees - I'm only allergic to 3, but I'm really, really allergic to them. Plus Colorado has ragweed.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Arrrrgh ... Allergies! :evil:
The Juniper trees here kicked into high gear early on (Feb) and still haven't let up.
First week of February is the earliest hit so far in my 20 years here in AZ.
Good luck Phred and take care!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Some enterprising Allergist or Immunologist needs to develop a line of pipe-tobaccos infused with minute amounts of various pollens in order to help desensitize hypersensitive smokers. They could offer a wide variety of VaPols, BurPols, and PerPols, and finally make a productive use of the nasty allergens with which us pipers must contend.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You know, smoking out of my KBB Yello-bole HAS seemed to help some.
There must be something to that Honey Cured Bowl after all!
Perhaps I'll pull out some Mac B's Vriginia #1 to put in there next. :rofl:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Same here in Maryland. The trees are just beginning to bud and smoking outside become pleasant, just as my allergies kick into high gear. I'll be miserable for a few weeks. I feel like I have a cold now, but I'm sure it is the allergies. I take Clarinex (prescription) daily, but it only keeps it at bay this time of the year. Others have it worse, so I can't complain too much.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Yup, high high allergen count in MN due to a warm spring. Aside from OTC allergy medicines, think about other things to reduce allergen counts- showering/changing clothes after being out side and at night before bed, no windows opening, good housecleaning, etc.
I also think netipot/sinus rinses at night are quite helpful. I'm a nurse, my wife used to work for a pulmonologist, and there's an allergist in the clinics I supervise so...this is the info we've gotten.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm miserable in a hotel room tonight (windows closed, AC on!), but on my return, I'm going to get real familiar with a Netti-Pot....

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
In Boston it's usually about a month behind you folks that live further down the coast. But this year it seems to have arrived a little early. For me it's the maples and I'm surrounded by them.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Allergies are awful here in New Mexico. Its dry, windy and lots of stuff blooming... Thank goodness for flonase! I have finally stared figuring out how to keep them under control after almost 30 years! Good luck my fellow sneezers.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I use a pinch of Dragun snuff up my nose to help my allergies. It is a finely ground, dry tobacco with a touch of capsicum (hot peppers). It drains the old sinuses and relieves the headache and congestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.