PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
So I've been having trouble with my Xikar Pipe lighter almost since day one. Even during perfect conditions it gives me a headache with it's dysfunctional properties. New flint, check. Full gas tank, check. Indoors, check. It still needs 10-15 strikes to perform a flame.
I do like the looks of the lighter and I actually ordered a Old Boy at first but the retailer were just out of stock in these and offered me the Xikar instead. So I took the hook, perhaps a little to eagerly. But from what I've read the Corona Old Boy seem to suffer from the same defects as it's cheaper cousin.
I really don't care for Zippos, they look too carny and do not attract me at all. What else is there? Those cheapo plastic jet-engine lighters? No thank you sir. I want that old look which I think goes well together with pipe smoking. Don't even mention BIC lighters, please.
So what I am looking for is a reliable lighter both indoors and outdoors. That produce a flame with one strike. And it need to have a classic old style look.
So far I've come up with the Corona Magie, Corona Pipemaster and Tsubota Bolbo. The latter I read somewhere by, I believe it was Kashmir at this forum, that he had to retire his Bolob after only a year in service. That's not a very long life span for a lighter that cost $100. But otherwise it promise it will produce a flame in windy weather and it looks good.
What is the verdict on Magie and Pipemaster?
And does anyone have an alternative lighter which fit the bill? Classic looking, reliable and windproof?

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
Classic, Reliable and Windproof equals ZIPPO!

Not what you wante to hear but true...

High polish Brass looks good.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Hollow out your favorite looking lighter and fill it with some nice matches. :)

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on wha Rockford said. Look, there are many classy looking lighters out there. The Dunhill rollagas is a great lighter, and it works most of the time, if you're willing to pay upwards of 500 bucks for it. I have a Corona Old Boy, and I must admit it works great, but as far as windproof goes, if there is somebody breathing in the same room, forget it. Zippo makes some good looking lighters, and they always work--all the time. Keep chasing the elusive will-o'-the-wisp, or bite the bullet and get the Zippo you're going to end up with.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I have a Zippo pipe lighter for using exclusively on the shore. If I want a smoke on a windy day by the water, I can deal with the taste of fuel ( yes, even with the black can stuff I can perceive a hint ).

My daily carry lighter used to be a 1986 vintage gold plated Dunhill Rollagas which I ended up selling to a forum member here, and replaced it with a IM Corona Pipe Magie in silver, basically a knock-off of the Rollagas. Other than the smallish tank size ( fill once a week vs once every two, plus I've been smoking a lot more the last couple of months due to drama at home ), no complaints. Lights every time and does pretty decent with air circulation as long as you cup it or aim properly.

The Xikar old Boy knock off ..... I own one as a backup lighter, had it for a year, had the same problems as the OP, the flint tension spring is the culprit. I gutted the spring out of a cheapo disposable ( which I also salvage for flints .... from my brother-in-law, he likes the cheap disposables) and replaced it in the Xikar, it works well as long as the surroundings are fairly still. Other problem areas with that lighter are the fuel nozzle which likes to turn about on its own, and the parts that knock loose. But for $25 .....

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I really like my IM Corona I received for Christmas. It lights every time I click it(Electric Sparker), looks great, isn't bulky, and needs no matenence (so far) other than filling which I do once a week.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I bought Stan's Rollagas and love it. I also have a much older sliver plate Rollagas. Slightly better made than the newer one, but both are wonderful machines, and together, the two cost me less than $250. They are a pleasure to have in the pocket. The flame adjustment is on the side, right where it is easy to turn with your thumb. And Stan is a great guy to buy from.
But the Dunhills will not work well in wind. I have a Zippo for that and, yes, I can smell/taste the fuel, too.
The IM Old Boy is a workhorse, sturdy, but not for use in the wind, and the flame adjustment (a straight-blade screw set in the bottom of the lighter) is impossible to adjust without two hands and a tool. One demerit.
Side Note: I recently bought a Zippo hand warmer. They are made in China. It leaked. They replaced it. It wouldn't light. They sent new burner elements. Still wouldn't light properly. I tossed it. I will not buy another new Zippo product. Zippo knows that the pocket warmers are crap, but still make them in China. That's sad.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Zippo lighters cant be beat, hand warmer isn't worth two cents, if you can get the charcoal hand warmer you will not regret it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Not to hijack the thread here, but could you please give details on the charcoal handwarmer? Does it use BBQ briquettes?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I headed Harris aka Cigmasters advice and I believe bought mine from Lighters Direct, hope I"m not doing something I shouldn't by mentioning somebody who is not a sponser. The pipemaster has a bigger tank, silicone seals, quite the heavy little piece of equipment, have even learned how to cup it inthe wind useing my old gnarled hands, if flame hits them they are so calloused by farm work don't feel the flame. LOL. Back to the lighter, lifetime gurrantee , you won't be sorry if you purchase this one, and I paid I believe 95$ for it with free shipping.

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
tbradsim1: I live on an island so it's pretty drafty here all the time. But on the other hand I do smoke indoors most often. Maybe I have to force my vanity to take a step back and get a Zippo for outdoor use. Just have to find a way to disguise it.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Frank,
I have the Xikar Resource and I had some of the same problems you did. Once I figured out where to adjust the flame I didn't have any problems.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Funny, I was going to recommend my Colbri Connaught II, and then last night it went belly up. Still, cost only $40, worked well for two years. So now I needed a new lighter and decided to go with the Corona Old Boy from smokingpipes.com. Been wanting one for a while and since my Colbri finally bit the dust, decided it was time. :puffy:
001-068-0040.jpg

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
It's a little bit mind-boggling to me that a lighter could cost $100 and more. I'm not opposed to buying quality... just never would have dreamed a lighter could be worth that much unless it were solid gold or something.
So, for those who own the high end lighters, what makes them worth the price? (note: my cheapo zippo seems to work fine but I'd prefer to have something a little more streamlined and with a tamper built in if possible (less to keep up with an carry around, ya know).

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It's a little bit mind-boggling to me that a lighter could cost $100 and more. I'm not opposed to buying quality... just never would have dreamed a lighter could be worth that much unless it were solid gold or something.
So, for those who own the high end lighters, what makes them worth the price? (note: my cheapo zippo seems to work fine but I'd prefer to have something a little more streamlined and with a tamper built in if possible (less to keep up with an carry around, ya know).
Very good question. I was shocked at the price tag years ago - but once you recover from the sticker shock, the price is the price and you deal.
Zippos are good lighters, but they taint the taste of the tobacco with fuel, run out of fuel quickly and refilling is a pain. For me, just not the best pipe lighter (tho I do own one).
I like a butane soft flame - easy to refill (plus I own a case of 5x butane, so I need a butane lighter if I am to use it). I also like a built in tamper.
After exploring my options and reading the many fine reviews of the Old Boy (both here and elsewhere), I decided that rather than spend $50-60 on a "pretty good" lighter that might last a few years, I'd plunk down the extra $40 bucks and get a classic that (with luck) will last a lifetime.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
That all makes sense, numbersix. So far my zippo seems to do ok with the amount of fuel used. I don't have to refill all that often since I learned how to keep the pipe lit and I haven't noticed any taste from the fuel either. Sometimes I catch a whiff of the odor when first striking but I always wait a second before applying flame to tobacco.
I have no experience with butane. I take it that it has no odor and lasts much longer than the zippo lighter fluid? I imagine that is a plus in itself.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.