PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'm in the market for a yard pipe and have found that the search is a lot of fun. I'm used to taking condition, shaping, cost, engineering, etc... into consideration when making decisions about which pipes I buy. I don't think about half of the things I usually think about as I search for a new yard pipe. It's refreshing to have less concerns when thinking about buying a pipe.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Cobs are my choice when working in the dirt, fishing, etc. As I've said, cobs are disposable in my estimation.
I agree warren. Cobs are great work pipes and easily replaced. I'm just giving myself a reason to look at and possibly buy a cheap briar pipe. The temperatures are starting to become more mild which means more time outside and in the garage. I think it's more of a desire to play with needle files, sandpaper, micro mesh, a buffer, etc... than it is to find a new yard pipe? It's fun to make a cheap briar pipe into a good smoker, that fits your personal preferences, that you'll smoke any blend in, and don't have to concern yourself with. Cobs allow for customization, but it doesn't do it for me like customizing a briar pipe does. :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yard Pipe
20180317_122707.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd go for a MM cob that comes with an acrylic stem, such as the Dagner or Charlie Towne. I chew up the soft plastic stems, but otherwise I can smoke a cob for many years. I don't consider them disposable with an acrylic stem, but they still have that durability and casual look. Second choice is to just pick a sturdy not-pricey briar that has some use on it, with a thick shank and stem. Mostly in the yard, I'm using both hands and bending over a lot, so smoking isn't a primary activity except as a break.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Why should a "yard pipe" not be held to the same smoking standards as any other pipe?
Unless you have a habit of dropping your pipe, why shouldn't you have just as good a smoke while doing yard work or fishing as you do any other time?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Several members have reported running over their pipes with the lawnmower or leaving them where they take damage otherwise. I can see that. Yard work is like cooking, and unless you are a real multi-tasker, you can muck up. Also, it depends what you're doing. If it is long, patient pruning of delicate flowering plants, that might work. If it is cutting brush and sawing limbs, you might want to count possible losses.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Why should a "yard pipe" not be held to the same smoking standards as any other pipe?
I get a perfectly good smoke from a cob, all the nicotine I crave. But, my pipes get roughly handled when I'm working. I'm a sloppy painter, I tend to set my jaw when driving my chain saws, I'll set the pipe on stump sometimes, or in the dirt if need be, they may fall out of my pocket and into the "pump station" similar to flashlights and iPhones, they get set on the work bench and a tool plopped on top of them, or hot glue, stain and finish, they get gripped with oily or very dirty gloves. Need I go on? I can.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here's the real yard pipe. Full of CB Grape it's ready for a day of mowing. With that blast a ding or two from dropping isn't noticeable.
img_20170610_155758.jpg

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
A yard pipe in my opinion is simply any decent lightweight clencher that wouldn't bother you if lost, broken or damaged. An MM cob certainly qualifies, under that criteria. However as a Briar guy, I find a basket bulldog, bent or straight, would be the easiest solution. A decent smoking "Imported Briar" bulldog can be picked up for 20 bucks, if you don't mind smoking an unremarkable Estate.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
When you simply seek something that will burn tobacco well and dont care too much about finish, shape etc. thats whe you find the most surprising pipes^^

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
A local B&M had a bin with some very trashed estates and I was able to pick up five of them for a couple bucks each. I picked the ones where the bowls where in good shape but the stems were broken, bitten through, etc. I've put cheap Missouri Meerschaum stems on them and waxed them, they actually look fairly good. It's not just yard work. It's nice to have a few briars I don't mind smoking in the wind, leaving in my car, playing with different cake scraping and forming techniques carelessly, etc.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hard to go wrong with a decent cob in this case, but since you mentioned you want to play around with sandpaper and whatnot, a good cheap estate would work.
I use a MM hardwood cob sometimes when I mow the lawn, but I much prefer a slower pace with my pipe, so no work at all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other than a cob, or a sturdy briar off your rack, I'd also think of a Dr. Grabow Royalton, a little more price for the acrylic stem, but all the more sturdy. You can leave out the 6mm filter, or use it, or get an adaptor for minimal cost (the Savinelli adaptors work fine). Estate Grabows sell for peanuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.