PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I got a tin of edgeworth off ebay, the Key turn type. The listing said it felt empty, so I thought what do they know. the key is on the bottom of the tin, seal in place, but it is very light, no sound of any tobacco inside. Did they make dummy tins for advertising? Or does anyone else have an answer as to why this might be sealed and empty?
Thanks

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't know the answer to your two questions. I'd weigh the "Edgeworth" tin and a similar sized empty tin to help determine if indeed it is empty. I would also bet that tins made it off the "line" empty and sealed and sometimes they even made it into a container and were shipped for resale. So, I really wouldn't find an empty tin all that unusual. What would be unusual is that someone, in a retail shop, may have noticed it and retained it.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Warren sounds right. the good thing is if it is empty an a factory tin. Its probabley worth more this way to a collector.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Maybe I can get 10 bucks for a sealed empty tin opposed to the $5 the countless other empty edgeworth tins bring. I will weigh it against a Half and Half tin I have that was a key wind open.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I think MLC wrote of this very thing a while back...........something about buying a sealed tin on ebay only to realize it was indeed SEALED and it was indeed EMPTY...... made for store displays and such... I'll try to find the thread..........

May 31, 2012
I think MLC wrote of this very thing a while back...........something about buying a sealed tin on ebay only to realize it was indeed SEALED and it was indeed EMPTY...... made for store displays and such... I'll try to find the thread..........
:)

yup,

that was me, kinda hard to find because it was buried in the Pix o Toby thread.
Sad,

but funny!
I was like hopeful until the very end and that fateful *plink* :lol:
I'll go ahead and xerox it here for reference or what not:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Found a very scarce unopened cutter-top made by an American maker,

you hardly ever see these so it was a cause for celebration.
It arrived today!

:D
z3d66f7.jpg

JkjSgqf.jpg

fWcpKDS.jpg

bn7238X.jpg

ltB9Kdk.jpg

amFSluE.jpg

There was some cause for slight concern, the signs of rust and a non-puffy top, but I went ahead and bought it because one rarely sees 'em --- it seemed incredibly light when I first held it and had no shake whatsoever...
...I wanted to open it immediately, so off I went.
The puncture released that glorious vacuum hiss and excitement was shiverin' my timbers...
...but the glorious hiss was missing any glorious aroma which should be present,

continue twisting ( knife lid ecstasy I was in!) and then suddenly an odd sound of the lid plinking against metal WTF?!?!? Gosh begosh if the damn thing really was empty LOL that'd explain why it was light as a feather, duh. :roll:

Dammit!

:evil:
wNs47U9.jpg

Pi2fND2.jpg

Pitfalls of buying vintage tins abound and here's another one I fell right into! LOL

The damn thing turned out to be a "dummy tin" made solely for display - the British tins are usually marked or stamped as such, but this one looked like the real deal.
Glad I only paid a few bucks for it, otherwise I'd be pissed.
Was it fun to open?

Yes.

Yes it was;

until the plink of the lid that is, because with that sound my stomach plummeted too, all hope lost!

:(

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
The damn thing turned out to be a "dummy tin" made solely for display - the British tins are usually marked or stamped as such, but this one looked like the real deal.

Well I learned something today.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Your post brought back a bad memory, Snag.
A couple of years ago there was a four ounce tin of a cutter top Rattray's Old Gowrie on eBay. The photos included a lot of pictures and it looked to be in terrific condition. The seller, in the item description, said the tin felt heavy. Well duh, it had tobacco in it, right? I put in a proxy bid and won the auction at an amazing low price of less than $80. When I got the tin, I discovered it was a paperweight and that the paper wrapping was around a molded block of concrete rock. I went back and looked at the auction photos. The seller had not shown a picture of the bottom of the tin which was not metal, but the concrete base. He got me. )-:

May 31, 2012
When I got the tin, I discovered it was a paperweight and that the paper wrapping was around a molded block of concrete rock.
Yowza!

:!:

:lol:
...but at least yours had something in it!
Hmmm,

I've been looking for a good paperweight,

how much ya want for it?

:wink:
Thanks for sharing the story,

good stuff.

:idea:

:P

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Interesting thread and great information to be aware of, especially the fact that the Brits made empty tins on purpose.
Thanks, Misterlowercase!

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Display tins are often weighed to keep them stable in shop window or floor displays. I have an old sealed tin of half and half that sounds and feels like it has lump of lead banging around loose in it.
Bob

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Well mrlowercase, I'd give it to you except that I used it as a raffle item at one of my local pipe club meetings. I'd like to get it back for you but the guy offed his wife with it and is now in prison. It made for a vicious blow to the cranium. Okay, that part's a lie but it really was in the raffle. :)
Pipestud

May 31, 2012
:D
What a great raffle item!
...and I suddenly see a future for all the empty tins I've reluctantly collected,

Ready-Mix here I come!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This whole thread reminds me of a story my Father used to tell. Just after WW2 he and his friend saw and advertisement in the Exchange & Mart which will be familiar to readers on here of a certain age for a 'Guaranteed Moth Killer - Works Every Time!' for 5 Shillings. He and his friend sent off a money order for 5 Shillings and in due course received in the mail a package. Upon opening it was found to contain two small blocks of wood marked 'A' and 'B' respectively and a slip of type written paper. The instructions told the operator to place the moth on block 'B' and bring block 'A' smartly down on top of block 'B' and the result was guaranteed to result in the moths demise.

May 31, 2012
...Upon opening it was found to contain two small blocks of wood marked 'A' and 'B' respectively and a slip of type written paper. The instructions told the operator to place the moth on block 'B' and bring block 'A' smartly down on top of block 'B' and the result was guaranteed to result in the moths demise.
:lol:

LOL

May 31, 2012
In the UK, it's more often seen on packet tobaccos, and often actually printed that way...
68JAxU1.png

hGQoehA.png
On tins, the bottom would be actually be impressed with "dummy tin", and in some cases, stamped in ink with the simple phrase "dummy".
:P

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Theres an antique store on line from the UK that has loads of those 'Dummy' boxes and tins but just occasionally they have the odd unopened package of tobacco!

May 31, 2012
Theres an antique store on line from the UK that has loads of those 'Dummy' boxes and tins but just occasionally they have the odd unopened package of tobacco!
One of my favorite haunts.
I am "philofumo" on the forums over there.

8)
That's the joint where I learned the delightful British appellation, diamond geezer !

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.