PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Each tin, Escudo and Telegraph Hill both held their seals. The inside of each tin...
18479328-orig.jpg

Any spotting you see if from the tobacco leaching a bit, during it's nap.
Don

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Yes, that was the height of my early collecting phase, 2002 - 2007 ish. Most I had to move along with Pipestud's assistance. Chances are, if you bought Bohemian Scandal back in the day, it might have been mine. I have 1 tin of Renaissance left from the "good" original Syrian run.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I'm reviving this thread with a greenhorn question. I recently bought a 2005 tin of GLP Montgomery as a gift from a very well-regarded dealer. This is my first experience with aged tobacco, so I'm totally new to everything involved. The weight seems good, but there is a bit of shake in the tin - maybe 1-2 centimeters of open space inside. Obviously, I can't just open it to check, and it would be a bummer if I gave it to the intended recipient (my father-in-law) and it turned out to be full of tobacco dust. Given that they started coating the tin interiors in 2005, is this tin probably okay, or should I start shopping for another present and stop fighting the urge to just open the tin and smoke whatever's in there?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's probably OK. Not all of the GL Pease blends suffered from corroding tins, it was mostly Raven's Wing, Bohemian Scandal, Renaissance, Haddo's and a few others that suffered. But if you would rather not take a chance, then go with plan B.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Thank you, Sable, that puts my mind at ease. Now I just have to keep my hands off it until his birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.