PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the last week or so, whether I log on through Forums or from my home page, when I go to smokingpipes.com, I get mostly white space with the script "smokingpipes.com." Then I have to scroll down to the menus and content. Hmmm? For years, I'd get the menu and special offers on the homepage up front. This could just be me, and my computer; I tend to be the Typhoid Mary of device users. Has anyone else noticed this? It won't keep me from my perpetual logging in with SP, but has anyone else noticed this? Is it an odd "improvement," or a maldjustment, or just one of the usual quirky glitches of computer-land?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ben', I followed your advice, though they threaten this will make it longer to upload websites I visit often. Technically adept I'm not, though I've had to use "devices" forever. My employer started us out on something called a "Decmate." No wonder things have never gone particularly well. Thanks for the tip. We'll see what happens.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
They HAVE updated the site in the past week, and the interface has changed a good bit. It was a bit buggy the first couple days but it's been good for me lately.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I noticed this recent change, but have interacted with them quite a bit with a pipe-hold, estate valuation, re-order gig in the same period. EVERYTHING was absolutely flawless on their end! To me, SPC is Thee Top biz in the biz! My heroes, the bluudy lot of them!! Seriously! I spend as much time on their site and blog as here and enjoy every minute of it.(as here!)

:D

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tom-
My advice is to also set up a second browser. That way, when if and as a site goes wonky, you can switch to the backup and then determine if the fault is at the server end or your end.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Absolutely no problems here. As said, try:
Clearing out your cache.
Increasing your available cache space.
Resetting or updating your browser.
Trying a different browser. I prefer Firefox 52, then Safari 10. I avoid Google Chrome and IE like the plaque.
Last but not least, get a Mac. :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I can't access their mobile site, but just completed an order a few minutes ago using the desktop version on my phone with no issues.

thesillyoldbear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Hey guys,
Essentially we've merged two sites into one. Whereas before we had a mobile site and a desktop site, we now have one site that acts responsively depending on the device accessing it. We had multiple reasons for doing this, but primary among them is that more and more of our users are using mobile devices, or a combination of mobile and desktop devices, to view our site, and it made no sense for these users to be sequestered off into an aging version of the site.
The old mobile address should just redirect to the new site, but if you had the mobile address bookmarked previously, you may want to just delete it, clear your cache, and re-bookmark https://www.smokingpipes.com.
If anyone still has issues after clearing their cache and removing the old bookmark, just post it here along with your OS and Browser (and version) and I'll pass it on to our dev team.
Cheers,

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'bear, thanks for the update. I visit the site every day or so, and I'm still scrolling down after some basic tinkering, but it only takes a moment. First I get a mostly white screen with the smokingpipe.com in script, so I scroll down to the menu and content, and all proceeds as usual until I click on the next item. Going from home to pipes, for from pipes to a brand, or from a brand to a particular pipe requires scrolling each time, but it's becoming a habit. I'm only reciting this so you can compare it with other customer's experiences, to see if it is at your end or at mine. In any case, to ardent pipe people, it won't stop them or even slow them down.

thesillyoldbear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
'bear, thanks for the update. I visit the site every day or so, and I'm still scrolling down after some basic tinkering, but it only takes a moment. First I get a mostly white screen with the smokingpipe.com in script, so I scroll down to the menu and content, and all proceeds as usual until I click on the next item. Going from home to pipes, for from pipes to a brand, or from a brand to a particular pipe requires scrolling each time, but it's becoming a habit. I'm only reciting this so you can compare it with other customer's experiences, to see if it is at your end or at mine. In any case, to ardent pipe people, it won't stop them or even slow them down.
PM sent, thanks mate.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Morning!
I got paid and decided it was time to try McClelland 5100 Red Cake, so I went to smokingpipes .com and it seems to be down at the moment? Is it just my access that is funky, or is the site down for anyone else?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks, guys. I have access again. Must have been something on my side of the satellite. Excited to finally try the 5100.

Status
Not open for further replies.